Flattening Chicken Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am really bad at doing this. I've use a recipe or two in the past that required me to pound out the chicken breast, usually for wrapping around something. Everytime I do it I have the worst time. I can never seem to get it as flat as I think it should be.

anyone have any tips or tricks?

I use a cake pan and a can of soup or something of the like. It works extremely well with beef and some other random applications but a flat chicken breast seems to elude me.

I cover them with a piece of plastic wrap and use the flat side of my meat mallet or the flat side of my heavy cleaver. I go right for the thickest piece. Don't murder the poor thing, it has already been killed once.:LOL: I have the outside of the breast facing up. It has a membrane on it still that helps the chicken form shredding into pieces. I just rap it until the thickest part becomes equal to the thinner pointy end.

Last edited:
I prefer to use the bottom of a heavy (cast iron) skillet because when I use my cleaver, I end up also pounding the side of my thumb into the board. :wacko:

Also, look on the bottom side of the boneless breast. There's a tendon that, if not removed, prevents the meat from flattening out the way you want it to.

I like the cast iron skillet method two. Only takes one or two good thwaps to get a flat surface (just don't hit it toooooo hard or you'll have flat chicken bits instead of a flat chicken breast.) Also, if you put the breast in between two pieces of plastic wrap and put that in between a couple of dish towels it muffles the noise, and stops concerned neighbours from coming downstairs to see if you're okay.

I like the cast iron skillet method two. Only takes one or two good thwaps to get a flat surface (just don't hit it toooooo hard or you'll have flat chicken bits instead of a flat chicken breast.) Also, if you put the breast in between two pieces of plastic wrap and put that in between a couple of dish towels it muffles the noise, and stops concerned neighbours from coming downstairs to see if you're okay.

Concerned or nosy?

...Also, if you put the breast in between two pieces of plastic wrap and put that in between a couple of dish towels it muffles the noise, and stops concerned neighbours from coming downstairs to see if you're okay.

Noise? The chickens aren't supposed to be alive when you do this. :ohmy:

That's a toss up. No one upstairs knows how to cook, so when they hear us messing around in the kitchen we get visitors appearing with noses twitching ;) good thing we always make extra!

I like the cast iron method. How flat can you get a chicken breast without it just falling apart?

If you are having trouble, why don't you try to use the tool spcificaly meant for the job? Tendorising hammer. When you get good at that you can try to use some other tools. I know that is what I did. Today I can flatten chicken with pretty much anything heavy.

I bash them with my marble rolling pin. It helps to roll it out too, doesn't seem to shred as much. Use the plastic wrap or baggie.

Sir Loin's idea might work too, though you will need to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance, and your insurance may not cover it.

Last edited:
I butterfly the breast first then place between to sheets of non stick thingy and feed it through my pasta roller.I feed a lot of things through the machine to get a uniform thickness.

I butterfly the breast first then place between to sheets of non stick thingy and feed it through my pasta roller.I feed a lot of things through the machine to get a uniform thickness.

That sounds TNT. I don't think I actually know how to butterfly a piece of meat, though. Time to search youtube. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom