Foods of Other Cultures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I know that other cultures around the world make sure they don't waste anything on an animal. Like the saying goes, "Every part of the pig except the squeal."

But today I was watching a show on 18th Century cooking. And he was making "Stuffed Roosters Combs." Watching him eat the combs was bad enough. But it was what he made the stuffing with that I had a problem with. He used part of the chicken that I doubt I will ever eat. Starting with the feet and ending with the beef cowl with other ingredients in between that my stomach began to churn. I always thought I had a strong stomach. But I guess I was wrong. I am so glad I wasn't around in the 18th century. I would have starved to death.

I have never watched the Survivor show. But I understand that there are times when they have to catch bugs and other creatures of the land for their food. No thanks. I will pass. On the food and the show. I also can't watch the man that goes around the world eating bizarre foods. I guess I am spoiled. Simple foods will be fine for me. I will stay right here in America. And I am one who can watch a surgery with all the blood and gore and be fascinated. :yum:

There is no accounting for taste said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

The first guy to eat a lobster or an oyster must have been awful hungry.

If we were the last people in line at the first chicken BBQ we might have been glad to get the comb or anything else.:ermm::ohmy::ROFLMAO:

What kind of tissue is in the comb? I was reading about ways to help keep the chickens getting frostbite on their combs this winter (vaseline massaged into the combs). I don't think I would eat the combs (or the feet). But, different strokes for different folks.

What kind of tissue is in the comb? I was reading about ways to help keep the chickens getting frostbite on their combs this winter (vaseline massaged into the combs). I don't think I would eat the combs (or the feet). But, different strokes for different folks.
The chef referred to the combs as 'meat.' He slit them on the bottom and then stuffed them. I will pass, but thank you chef :wacko:

The trick is to get chickens that were bred for cold environments. They have much shorter combs and waddles. Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks... And of course to have the right number of birds for your chicken coop unless you want to burn a lightbulb for them.

Addie, I'm not sure if you were asking for feedback on the stuffed combs or just starting a general conversation, but there are certain preparations of foods (and non-preparation too I guess), that I have no desire to try. I would just as soon use the comb of a rooster to try to catch something bigger :)

I hear ya pacanis. My original post was just a comment on food that I would never try. After seeing that comb episode, I am so grateful that I live in the USA.

When I lived in Texas, we bought a two month old heifer and a piglet. When they reach the proper weight, we called the slaughter truck. When he was done he asked me, "Do you want the liver, kidneys, etc." I said "No" to everything except the meat and the beef liver. He was quite happy to take all the innards and parts that I didn't want. I got a reduced price for his services because he could sell the parts I didn't want to a Mexican family. He made a hefty profit from selling them. I am not much of a connoisseur when it comes to eating foods that didn't grow up with.

Someone I worked with sold a cow to a family from waaaay east of here. He said that about two dozen people showed up, built a fire (with his permission), had themselves a little picnic while they butchered the cow and he said that the parts they did not save/keep could be fit in a jar, which they buried on his property. I still remember that story.

I selected winter-hardy breeds, but would never think of eating the combs...but then, my chickens probably will never see the inside of a stew pot...

CWS4322 said:
I selected winter-hardy breeds, but would never think of eating the combs...but then, my chickens probably will never see the inside of a stew pot...

Nor should they! Oh, the horror!

Addie said:
I suppose they all have names ala Green Acres! (Just teasing!):chef:

Actually, they do! Check out the Chicken Chronicles thread.

i've had chicken feet in chinese soup before. they looked more like somefhing from one of the csi shows rather rhan something to eat. all bloated and puffy like the body just washed up on shore.

as far as eating them goes, well, there wasn't much to do but nibble on rubbery skin. maybe it made the soup taste good, but the feet themselves were a waste of time. after dinner, though, i kept having the strangest feeling like i should be crossing a road somewhere...

I can't understand how people won't flinch at eating an animal's muscle tissue but cringe at other parts of the animal. How is that even comprehensibly logical?
What exactly is the difference between a cockscomb and a chicken breast, in terms of what should be eaten and what shouldn't? No one can make this call until they try it.

Come on, try and be more open-minded and objective.

I would venture to guess cockscomb is gelatinous and somewhat neutral flavored, like maybe beef tendon.

Last edited:
I know that other cultures around the world make sure they don't waste anything on an animal. Like the saying goes, "Every part of the pig except the squeal."

But today I was watching a show on 18th Century cooking. And he was making "Stuffed Roosters Combs." Watching him eat the combs was bad enough. But it was what he made the stuffing with that I had a problem with. He used part of the chicken that I doubt I will ever eat. Starting with the feet and ending with the beef cowl with other ingredients in between that my stomach began to churn. I always thought I had a strong stomach. But I guess I was wrong. I am so glad I wasn't around in the 18th century. I would have starved to death.

I have never watched the Survivor show. But I understand that there are times when they have to catch bugs and other creatures of the land for their food. No thanks. I will pass. On the food and the show. I also can't watch the man that goes around the world eating bizarre foods. I guess I am spoiled. Simple foods will be fine for me. I will stay right here in America. And I am one who can watch a surgery with all the blood and gore and be fascinated. :yum:

Funny, I just googled "Stuffed Roosters Combs." and the only hit I got was this thread. View attachment 12440

Last edited:
I caught a new (?) program this weekend called Big Hairy Bikers or something. It had a couple guys cruising around on bikes and fixing roadkill to eat over campfires, along with stopping off to eat some uncommon local foods. The one place the stopped (it was in the US) fixed pig ear sandwiches. Apparently they are pretty hard before cooked. The diner's owner pressure cooked them until they were all rubbery and then covered them in BBQ sauce. Sandwiches were something like $1.10. It looked a little iffy to me, lol. I can't say I would want to try chitlins either.

I can't understand how people won't flinch at eating an animal's muscle tissue but cringe at other parts of the animal.

It all depends on what you grew up eating. During my formative years of eating meat, was during the war. Meat was at a premium because it was rationed. We ate mostly fish and shellfish. And I have never been one to taste new foods. In fact, I can't take any medicine that is on a spoon. If I can taste it, my throat closes up and I start to gag instantly. I know. It is all psychological, but never the less that is the way it is. :chef:

I caught a new (?) program this weekend called Big Hairy Bikers or something. It had a couple guys cruising around on bikes and fixing roadkill to eat over campfires, along with stopping off to eat some uncommon local foods. The one place the stopped (it was in the US) fixed pig ear sandwiches. Apparently they are pretty hard before cooked. The diner's owner pressure cooked them until they were all rubbery and then covered them in BBQ sauce. Sandwiches were something like $1.10. It looked a little iffy to me, lol. I can't say I would want to try chitlins either.

On one of the DDD shows he goes to a old converted school in to a restaurant. They made them there. Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: Big Mama's Kitchen and Catering - YouTube

On one of the DDD shows he goes to a old converted school in to a restaurant. They made them there.

That place is a lot bigger and cleaner than the joint the big hairy biker guys were at. Now what does that tell you about whose show's budget? ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom