Freaking Delicious Chicken Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef said:
BT and my exchange was based on the irony that if I really wanted to, I could've ripped into this recipe much, much, MUCH worse than you did (or at least what the OP thought you did. I didn't think you did at all). And I'm talking like Gordon Ramsay kinda ripping. And BT knows that which is why we made a joke of it.

I wasn't referring to your post at all. To say that I'm not "fond" of using an abundance of canned soup and mayonnaise in cooking? LOL that's like saying that the Yankees are not fond of throwing cash around. But, I quietly avoid conflict by not even bother reading threads that I know will touch that subject.
Actually, IC (may I call you IC?) ;), I had sort of figured all that out. I just used your post to make a point about not asking a question if you don't want honest answers.

BTW, your restraint is most admirable. :)

keltin said:
If you don’t like Cream of Mushroom, how do you make Green Bean Casserole?

I once decided to make green bean casserole, completely from scratch, for
Thanksgiving, including home made cream of mushroom soup, from an Emeril LaGasse recipe. Does Emeril cook Thanksgiving dinner for the Salvation Army? His recipe made about 6 gallons of soup. I needed about a cup!

Oh and the major reason for people to hate, and steer clear of, canned soups, creamed or not, is the salt content. One can of cream of mushroom soup contains over 1600mg of sodium, which is almost 70% of your RDI, leaving very little room for seasoning anything else you're going to be eating that day.

Caine said:
I once decided to make green bean casserole, completely from scratch, for
Thanksgiving, including home made cream of mushroom soup, from an Emeril LaGasse recipe. Does Emeril cook Thanksgiving dinner for the Salvation Army? His recipe made about 6 gallons of soup. I needed about a cup!

I found this site for making a Green Bean Casserole from scratch. Maybe I’ll try it one day......but it is a LOT of work, and I might be too lazy to do this recipe. :ROFLMAO:

That's pretty much how I make grn bn casserole...it's awesome with real food. I actually make a mushroom veloute rather than a simple bechamel. But that's no big deal. Yeh it takes longer than opening a can of soup a can of beans and a can of onions, but it has way less fat, way less salt, and a LOT more flavor. really.

Robo410 said:
That's pretty much how I make grn bn casserole...it's awesome with real food. I actually make a mushroom veloute rather than a simple bechamel. But that's no big deal. Yeh it takes longer than opening a can of soup a can of beans and a can of onions, but it has way less fat, way less salt, and a LOT more flavor. really.

If you’re making a mushroom veloute, how do you make the mushroom stock? Or do you start with a chicken veloute and then turn it into a supreme sauce by adding mushrooms and cream?

ironchef said:
I really, really want to say something, but I won't.

I remember when I was just beginning to learn the cooking arts. I thought hamburger helper was a gourmet meal back then. I can't stomach the flavor of it now.:LOL: But we all start somewhere.

Homegrownrecipes; I won't tell you that yoru recipe doesn't taste amazing. I haven't tried it, and most likely won't. But that means absolutely nothing. I jsut have different tastes than do you. I can truly cook virtually anything I might want to cook, from canned beans with canned Vienna Sausage, to a wonderful rouladin stuffed with an herb/mushroom/crabmeat filling. Experience will truly give you a more refined pallate as you experiment and play with your recipes.

My youngest daughter started her cooking style by mixing various cans of veggies from the pantry, using the can-liquor (sp) to make the broth. she'd season with some garlic and onion, and various herbs from my herb & spice rack, and somehow, her concoctions came out very good. Over time, she grew more adventurous and learned the basic recipes for puff pastry (choux paste), for bread, quickbreads, pie crusts, various meats, and methods of cooking them, and then began to take on challenges such as helping make thanksgiving dinner. She is now, at the tender age of 21, a wonderful cook who suprizes her roomates and freinds with pastas, roast fowl, wonderful deserts, and still her favorite thing to make, homemade soups. She calls for advice every now and again, but just for a bit of info from her old man (that's me).

you will become more versatile with time, and will undoubtedly look back at your casserole and remember it with a smile. Don't ever let anyone tell you that what you like isn't good. If you like it, then it's good. You may one day prefer something else, but that's in the future. I mean, I still like potted-meat mixed with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish, slathered thickly on whole whet toast. Is it good for me? Not likely. Do I eat it often, or serve it to others; again, not likely. But I sure do crave that unhealthy, somewhat pathetic sandwich every now and again.

Don't let others tell you what to like or not like. Do take constructive criticism, and keep an open miind. Experiment. Immerse yourself into the cooking experience. It will open a whole world of flavors and experience for you. And maybe, just likek my daughter, you might just become the most sought after cook on the block.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I remember when I was just beginning to learn the cooking arts. I thought hamburger helper was a gourmet meal back then. I can't stomach the flavor of it now.:LOL: But we all start somewhere.

Homegrownrecipes; I won't tell you that yoru recipe doesn't taste amazing. I haven't tried it, and most likely won't. But that means absolutely nothing. I jsut have different tastes than do you. I can truly cook virtually anything I might want to cook, from canned beans with canned Vienna Sausage, to a wonderful rouladin stuffed with an herb/mushroom/crabmeat filling. Experience will truly give you a more refined pallate as you experiment and play with your recipes.

My youngest daughter started her cooking style by mixing various cans of veggies from the pantry, using the can-liquor (sp) to make the broth. she'd season with some garlic and onion, and various herbs from my herb & spice rack, and somehow, her concoctions came out very good. Over time, she grew more adventurous and learned the basic recipes for puff pastry (choux paste), for bread, quickbreads, pie crusts, various meats, and methods of cooking them, and then began to take on challenges such as helping make thanksgiving dinner. She is now, at the tender age of 21, a wonderful cook who suprizes her roomates and freinds with pastas, roast fowl, wonderful deserts, and still her favorite thing to make, homemade soups. She calls for advice every now and again, but just for a bit of info from her old man (that's me).

you will become more versatile with time, and will undoubtedly look back at your casserole and remember it with a smile. Don't ever let anyone tell you that what you like isn't good. If you like it, then it's good. You may one day prefer something else, but that's in the future. I mean, I still like potted-meat mixed with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish, slathered thickly on whole whet toast. Is it good for me? Not likely. Do I eat it often, or serve it to others; again, not likely. But I sure do crave that unhealthy, somewhat pathetic sandwich every now and again.

Don't let others tell you what to like or not like. Do take constructive criticism, and keep an open miind. Experiment. Immerse yourself into the cooking experience. It will open a whole world of flavors and experience for you. And maybe, just likek my daughter, you might just become the most sought after cook on the block.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Touché. But like Suzy said, one should not ask questions if they do not want to hear the answers.

just an observation: boy, you can tell it's the dog days of summer. we're all jumping on a topic, teeth bared and growling like michael vick trophy dogs, and goodweed going on and on about it ;); and it's such a minor dealio.

i.c. and suzy, yous two and me, <<pointing two fingers to eyes>>, we're on the same page.

while i'm loathe to use canned soups, if my wife cooks something using them and the dinner ends up tasting really good, then ya-freakin'-hoo. i'm a canned soup guy. i'm very sensitive to salt, so that might be tough considering caine's input.

so there. :chef:

(i would still love, nay prefer to hear her tell me lies about how difficult it was to get the sauce "just right".)

ironchef said:
Touché. But like Suzy said, one should not ask questions if they do not want to hear the answers.
I agree completelym which is why I stated that the author of this post needs to accept constructive criticism and keep and open mind.

Ironchef, you are one of the more respected people around here. I know you can outcook me any day of the week. You have more training, and cook professionally. I also know that if I had the same training, and the exerience that you have, I would be a far better cook, and I'm no slouch now. We just have to remember our starting places. And like you said, we must be willing to learn from others, and accept that we have much to learn, no matter what skill level we are at. Humility is a good thing. It allows us to gather valuable insight from others, even people who use Homer Simpson as their avatar;) (not you IC), or canned mushroom soup mixed with mayo.

And BT; just to set the record stratight, I did not go on and on about it, just on about it. You see, single on, shorter. :<)
Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Whether one cooks with cream of whatever soup and mayo makes no difference in the big picture. If you don't like it don't eat it or cook with it. If you do like it cook away and love every bite of it. Cooking is not right and it is not wrong. It just appeared that there was a LOT of mayo and soup compared to the protein - but that has never been pointed out. A "good amount" doesn't give us an indication.

Homegrownrecipes - we hope you continue to participate in our forums. I guess you learned if you ask us for our opinion we will certainly give it. And yes, when you do that then the recipe changes. There's nothing like a good brainstorm when it comes to food!!!!!

Whether one cooks with cream of whatever soup and mayo makes no difference in the big picture. If you don't like it don't eat it or cook with it. If you do like it cook away and love every bite of it. Cooking is not right and it is not wrong. It just appeared that there was a LOT of mayo and soup compared to the protein - but that has never been pointed out. A "good amount" doesn't give us an indication.

Homegrownrecipes - we hope you continue to participate in our forums. I guess you learned if you ask us for our opinion we will certainly give it. And yes, when you do that then the recipe changes. There's nothing like a good brainstorm when it comes to food!!!!!

I was rather surprised to see this thread resurrected at this point. I thought we had resolved any differences of opinion almost a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom