Fresh Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sattie, do you have a Super Wally World anywhere nearby? They ought to have all the turkey parts you could want.

I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.

Big Jim - that's just the sort of recipe I use the turkey drums for. I also sub them in for other braises, like lamb shanks over white beans, etc. Really the only thing to keep in mind is that turkey drums cook a LOT quicker than lamb shanks (around an hour TOPS), so you have to keep your eye on that when adjusting whatever recipe you're using.

I am a HUGE believer in fresh vs. frozen turkey for special occasions - the flavor of the fresh is far, far better!

Trader Joe's is going to be having fresh, brined 12-20 lb'ers for $1.79 a pound this month.

Has anyone tried one of theirs?

Lee

I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.

Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.

DramaQueen - it's not meant to duplicate "Osso Buco". I know what true Osso Buco is & means. But for those of us who don't eat red meat, turkey drumsticks do make an excellent substitution in the flavorful braise itself - marrow or not.

Is it impossible to find a whole fresh turkey that is not frozen???? My intention is to purchase said turkey and whack it up like I do whole chicken. Trying to add variety to the menu and I thought this would be a way to have a turkey breast or leg for dinner. Plus the economics of it all would be better for a family of two.

Will I have a better chance of finding them as Thanksgiving nears?

I usually buy mine frozen at the local market. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, you might take a look-see there. I have a problem finding turkey cutlets, even around Thanksgiving.

Osso Buco won't be anywhere near the same using turkey instead of veal. The "buco" refers to the hole in the center of the veal shank and the marrow that's inside flavors the whole dish too. The difference in taste between veal and turkey will change the whole character of the dish but it will still be good I'm sure.
Me, I'm sticking to veal shank.

BTW, I've gotten fresh turkey on special order from my local butcher and honestly can't tell the difference. You butcher will "whack" your turkey if you ask him to.
True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site

True, Turkey Bucco probably will not be the same as Osso Bucco, which means "bone with a hole", but would be interesting nevertheless. I think that I will give it a try.
The Emeril Live that we got last night featured this dish. Called it Carribbean style turkey legs. Braised in a mirapoix with added spices, stock, and Guiness. Recipe available on his web site

That sounds like a winner. I'm definately checking that out, thanks.

I also saved that Emeril recipe to try. But I think his sawing the drumsticks in half crosswise so that they "resemble" sawed veal shanks is a total waste. If/when I make this recipe, I'll just be using the drumsticks whole.

I also saved that Emeril recipe to try. But I think his sawing the drumsticks in half crosswise so that they "resemble" sawed veal shanks is a total waste. If/when I make this recipe, I'll just be using the drumsticks whole.
I'm thinking that sawing the drumsticks would have a couple of advantages. Cooking time, texture, appearance, and maybe flavor, would change I usually serve Braised dishes family style, often in the my copper braising pan, and portions would work out better. Whole leg meat would have to be pulled from the bone, and would be long stringy pieces of meat, or served whole, a bit much for some.

Sawing the legs would also get at the marrow in the leg bones. I know if you cleaver the long bones when you BBQ chicken, the flavor is better.

fresh turkeys may be wandering around on a farm near you , if your local stores don't have it ,try making arrangements with a local farmer . That would be a win win situation.

Last edited:
Well, I just ordered a whole turkey for Thanksgiving. we have a poultry farm about a mile and a half from the house. This will be my first whole turkey.

I remember when I was young (Loooooooooong ago) that mom used to buy a loaf of "Stuffing Bread". I have seen nothing but dried stuffing in the stores.

Therefore, a little banging around yielded this. What do Y'all (love that word. Can a Yankee use it? Do I need dispensation?) think?

Mom used to cut it into cubes and then "things" went into it. I am thinking celery, onion, sausage and......??????? What is a great stuffing.

AC

I love turkey too. I used to make this great turkey soup. But for a life of me I haven't done for so long that I do not remember the recipe. The whole turkey is only for the Thanksgiving.

In answer to the question about fresh/frozen turkey I have helped out at the holidays in a processing plant for turkeys. The turkey is partly frozen before they are processed. They do this flash freeze thing before they are cleaned and feathers plucked out. The fresh ones are just packaged at the end of that line while the ones for freezing go back on to the freezer again.

It is not unusual to purchase a "fresh" turkey with some ice in it though.

I remember when I was young (Loooooooooong ago) that mom used to buy a loaf of "Stuffing Bread". I have seen nothing but dried stuffing in the stores.

Therefore, a little banging around yielded this. What do Y'all (love that word. Can a Yankee use it? Do I need dispensation?) think?

Mom used to cut it into cubes and then "things" went into it. I am thinking celery, onion, sausage and......??????? What is a great stuffing.

AC

I can only find "stuffing bread" during the holidays here and it goes fast. I usually just buy regular loaves and dry it out for a couple days and cut into cubes. I use onion, celery, chicken stock and poultry seasoning. Plain and simple but oh so good! I also add salt and pepper to taste. For a 22lb. turkey I use 6 loaves bread, 6 diced onions, 6-7 stalks celery, diced. Can you tell we love stuffing.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom