Fresh Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Is it impossible to find a whole fresh turkey that is not frozen???? My intention is to purchase said turkey and whack it up like I do whole chicken. Trying to add variety to the menu and I thought this would be a way to have a turkey breast or leg for dinner. Plus the economics of it all would be better for a family of two.

Will I have a better chance of finding them as Thanksgiving nears?

Ok, I guess that would be the time to stock up on a couple of fresh ones then. I started looking for fresh turkey several months ago and was surprised to see that buying a whole fresh turkey was next to impossible. Unless you buy that prepackaged stuff which I'm sure is fine. But I want to do the whole turkey and make some turkey stock!!!

Speaking of.....you know I never buy turkey or eat turkey except for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I see it all the time at my supermarket, even had grandios ideas of smoking some legs or roasting a breast.

...weird.

I buy a fresh 1/2 breast once and awhile, but it's expensive; about the cost of a small whole frozen turkey.
That's another thing, Sattie; fresh will probably cost about double what frozen does. Why? ???

I buy a fresh 1/2 breast once and awhile, but it's expensive; about the cost of a small whole frozen turkey.
That's another thing, Sattie; fresh will probably cost about double what frozen does. Why? ???

I don't know.. I think I am gonna wait till closer to Thanksgiving and land me one. Don't know if it will be any cheaper or not. Now you got me wandering... why is that it is double than the rock hard frozen stuff?

Jeeks - This has been something I have wanted to do for a while now. I just want to be able to have some turkey now and then and I think turkey is much more flavorful when the bone/skin is intact. Roasted or smoked turkey leg does sound good about now!

I don't know.. I think I am gonna wait till closer to Thanksgiving and land me one. Don't know if it will be any cheaper or not. Now you got me wandering... why is that it is double than the rock hard frozen stuff?

Jeeks - This has been something I have wanted to do for a while now. I just want to be able to have some turkey now and then and I think turkey is much more flavorful when the bone/skin is intact. Roasted or smoked turkey leg does sound good about now!
Turkey is harvested year around, but the vast majority of it is consumed around the holidays. Accordingly, fresh costs more to produce, deliver, and maintain than the frozen, and the market is limited to only a few days a year, resulting in higher prices. In my experience, there is no economic advantage to purchasing a whole turkey, cutting it up, and freezing the parts.

I love turkey, but cooking a whole one is reserved for about 3 times a year for me...thanksgiving, a cold Feb day, and early summer on the kettle grill (smoked...yum) Otherwise I do parts (usually neck wings and legs from the butcher for soups etc. The breast is premium but the rest is often very cheap.

I often buy a frozen one. Cook it up and then cut it up and freeze bits of it. Breast slices for sandwiches, other bits for use in cooking.

I thought about doing that too. But I want to be able to try different things by cooking different parts of the turkey. I think I'm gonna get one as soon as I find one. Be kinda nice to pull some turkey out and deep fry a piece, or roast a piece, pan fry... whatever! I know when I bought a turkey breast, that breast was enough for 2 or 3 meals for two.

Sattie, I'm not sure about where you live, but here, I can get turkey parts pre-cut and packaged. While the price / pound is going to be more expensive than buying a whole one, the overall cost is cheaper for parts. Like Jeeks, I want to smoke some turkey legs. It would probably only cost me US$8.00 + tax to get enough turkey legs to feed my family. If you want to make stock, just by some wings, pan-roast or sear them off, add the veggies and water, and let it simmer for several hours. Wings will render A LOT of gelatin for a most delicious stock.

...In my experience, there is no economic advantage to purchasing a whole turkey, cutting it up, and freezing the parts.

Bigjim, around here, a whole turkey always has a lower 'per pound' price than turkey parts. I ran into this a couple of years ago when I wanted to buy some turkey wings to make a stock and found the wings were more per pound than a whole bird!

Thank all for the replies... I'm going to find my bird, and there will be Turkey!!!! May get a couple and cut it up/ foodsaver it/ and I can have turkey done anyway I want. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this post!!!

Bigjim, around here, a whole turkey always has a lower 'per pound' price than turkey parts. I ran into this a couple of years ago when I wanted to buy some turkey wings to make a stock and found the wings were more per pound than a whole bird!
The last time I noticed fresh turkey here, it was about double the price of frozen. If I wanted to cut up a turkey and freeze, I would probably buy a frozen turkey and cut it up after patially thawing in the referigerator. I suspect that a whole lot of what we think of as fresh has been previously frozen. This probably applies to chickens and a lot of shellfish. When I buy chickens on sale, I buy a bunch and cut them up. I generally ask the meat manager for those not yet thawed, and thaw them in the referigerator to cut up, then immediately refreeze. I have had no problem. There is another thread here discussing refreezing chicken. Opinions seem to differ.

I agree with Allen about the price of turkey parts. Around here I can buy fresh wings, thighs, & drumsticks for a couple of bucks. Literally. And that's year-round. In fact, just yesterday two different markets had packages of fresh large drumsticks, 2 or 3 to a package, for $2 & change/package. I love buying those because they make excellent (& inexpensive) substitutes for braised dishes that normally call for lamb shanks (which husband doesn't eat). Wings & thighs are priced the same, as are turkey "chops" & "cutlets" (for sautes like "piccata" & "Marsala"), "tenderloins" (roasted whole or cut into kabobs), "ground" - heck, you name it.

I'd never bother spending the bucks for a whole turkey just to enjoy the quality & convenience I get in buying the parts. We do a whole fresh (organic free-range) turkey for Thanksgiving, which we order in advance, & sometimes a whole smoked turkey for Easter. That's it as far as dealing with a whole turkey.

I have trouble finding the parts unless I go to healthfood type stores. I see the ground turkey and the other processed turkey, I just want some actual turkey that I can dress up anyway I want. Skin on, skin off, you know. I think I am going to get a whole fresh one no matter what the cost. Just to try it out. Believe me, nothing will go to waste.

I never thought of using turkey legs in place of lamb or veal. Sounds interesting. With the price of veal shank over $10.00/lb here, I have not made Osso Bucco for a while. Turkey bucco? will have to try it. As a person that most often cooks for one, finding the right portion is a sometimes difficult. One turkey leg is about a single portion. Most of the time turkey parts are available here at reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom