Fried Chicken Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I saw a forum member make these before (L2Q), I tried them and liked them, and last night I had another go at them, changing up the ingredients somewhat. Another name for them could be Bleu Buffalo Balls :angel:, as they have bleu cheese in them and Frank's Buffalo wing sauce. And celery. Basically I combined all the things that make Buffalo wings Buffalo wings; chicken, Buffalo wing sauce, celery and blue cheese. If you've never tried Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce give it a go. It comes ready to use with that buttery taste built in :yum:
There wasn't any real recipe I followed. You might say I pretty much winged it :rolleyes: (sorry)

Season and cook some chicken. Or pull apart some already cooked chicken. We aren't exactly talking a gourmet meal here.
1.jpg

I shredded the breast I used using two forks, then rocked a knife through it several times to mince it even finer.
2.jpg

Add your ingredients to a bowl; the chicken, diced celery, crumbled blue cheese and enough sauce to coat well. Mix well with a fork or spoon. If you added too much sauce don't worry, you can squeeze it out when you form the balls.
3.jpg

The tricky part is forming the balls. I might add some bread crumbs next time to help bind things better, but it's doable. You just need to be gentle. These are golf ball sized, but smaller would be better. Even fried they don't hold together well when biting into one. Next time I'll make them bite sized.
4.jpg

Coat the balls in flour, egg, then panko crumbs. Just roll them around in the breading ingredients and do the best you can.
5.jpg

Fry until golden brown.
In this case I made with fries, so it worked out well. I put the cut fries into the cold oil and by the time the oil was hot enough for the balls (350-360F or so), the fries were done :)
6.jpg

Looks very good.

I'd have to wait until after my next major grocery run.... the only store with wing sauce is a good 45 minutes away. And I've never seen panko crumbs here... have to use the old fashioned ones that I make myself from the heels of bread loaves. I might consider trying corn meal too - experimenting is fun.

These look great Pac! I suspect that adding some bread crumbs, or maybe just a beaten egg, like one would do for meat loaf would really help holding them together.

They would be great on picks for a cocktail party and lots less messy than classic Buffalo Wings!

looks great, pac.. i remember making those .. i think i used shredded cheddar ...
that might have helped with the binding .. the blue cheese is a nice touch ...

The title of this one reminded me of a time at a restaurant in Pismo Beach, CA. I was sitting at the bar having a late lunch. Two ladies were sitting just down the bar from us. They ordered the turkey nuts from the bar menu. They ate the first basket in no time (small basket) and ordered another. When the second one came they started eating them but a bit slower. They asked the bartender what were the turkey nuts made from? He answered turkey nuts. They got a funny look on there faces. Continued to eat... When the basket was almost empty they asked again which part of the turkey the nuts came from. The bar tender grabbed the part and said the NNNUUUUTTTTSSS. One of the ladies ran to the bathroom.........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom