Frozen turkey and chicken breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hybrid1961

Assistant Cook
I received 2 large bags of frozen roasted turkey and chicken breasts--probably about 10 lbs per each bag. I need to know how to thaw them so that I can refreeze them after I eat what I need. Ideally, I would like to thaw them, then refreeze them separately in individual freezer bags. I am a single male, and cooking the whole bag would be a waste because I wouldn't be able to eat all the meat before it went bad. I guess anyway. Not really a cook.

Should I cook the whole bag and then refreeze? Is this safe and efficient?

I have been told and read that thawing and refreezing is not a good idea.

Any suggestions?

Thaw them in the refrigerator, separate and re-wrap, then refreeze. If you keep them properly refrigerated throughout, spoilage will not be an issue. Re-freezeing can cause texture to deteriorate.

Thanks for the info. I'll do that and hope for a lot of turkey and chicken in the near future!

I think just thaw them in the frig long enough until you can pry the pieces apart. Tip the bag they came in over once in awhile for quicker thawing and you can check and see how they are coming along.

Welcome to DC too !

You say they are "frozen roasted" turkey and chicken.

That means they are already cooked.

Also thawing and refreezing compromises taste and texture so be prepared

I received 2 large bags of frozen roasted turkey and chicken breasts--probably about 10 lbs per each bag. I need to know how to thaw them so that I can refreeze them after I eat what I need. Ideally, I would like to thaw them, then refreeze them separately in individual freezer bags. I am a single male, and cooking the whole bag would be a waste because I wouldn't be able to eat all the meat before it went bad. I guess anyway. Not really a cook.

Should I cook the whole bag and then refreeze? Is this safe and efficient?

I have been told and read that thawing and refreezing is not a good idea.

Any suggestions?

They are precooked? I've never seen precooked breasts in that large a package before, and certainly not all frozen together.

I think just thaw them in the frig long enough until you can pry the pieces apart. Tip the bag they came in over once in awhile for quicker thawing and you can check and see how they are coming along.

Welcome to DC too !

You say they are "frozen roasted" turkey and chicken.

That means they are already cooked.

Also thawing and refreezing compromises taste and texture so be prepared

If done as above you don't really lose anything. Thaw just until you can pry them apart but they are still 3/4 frozen, then rebag them in useful portions and refreezing won't change them. I've been doing that for years using various raw chicken parts with good results. Just did it with a 10 pound bag of wings the other day.

Last edited:
I have nuked parts on defrost just enough so I can pry them apart, still mostly frozen, and have had no issues. You might have trouble getting 10 lbs in the microwave, though! Have also partially defrosted in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom