Game hen left on the counter for 2+ hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh geeze...... I've been thawing on the counter, thawing and refreezing for most of my adult life... I figure if I make a huge mistake now, I've had a happy 78 years... :ohmy:

Ross

Wouldn't cooking it kill any bacteria anyway? It's not like in 2 hours it is starting to rot.

I'd cook it and enjoy it. I would cook it to the high end of the temp range, but that is just because of my OCD.

Well, it looks like the consensus is cook it and enjoy. Go for it. I am with the majority.

I remember as a child, my mother had an "ice box." I doubt it really kept the meat at a really safe temp. Not unless she placed it right on the block of ice itself. And like the rest of the members, we all are still here. Everybody has an "Oops" moment. And today was your.

Wouldn't cooking it kill any bacteria anyway? It's not like in 2 hours it is starting to rot.

I'd cook it and enjoy it. I would cook it to the high end of the temp range, but that is just because of my OCD.
When bacteria multiply, they produce a toxin that is not inactivated by heat. So no matter how high the temperature at which you cook it, it can be unsafe to eat after a period of time at room temperature. Federal food safety laws require food service establishments to refrigerate food that has been at room temperature for more than two hours.

The way I look at it is how much money would you give to make the food poisoning go away. Makes it easier to justify tossing food that may not be safe to eat.

Wouldn't cooking it kill any bacteria anyway? It's not like in 2 hours it is starting to rot..

If this were true you wouldn't need a refrigerator.

GG is right. Bacteria multiply at an alarming rate and some throw off spores that are heat resistant.

That game hen was safe at room temp for 2 hours. That's Serv Safe guielines.

Food bourn bacteria dies immediately at 160 degrees, it will die at a much lower temperature, but it takes a longer exposure to those levels of heat.

Also, more food illnesses are caused by cross-contamination than undercooking.

So, practice good kitchen hygiene and cook to a proper doneness, and you should enjoy your bird.

CD

What about those open air Asian markets I see on TV. Not arguing, just wondering how they survive. Are thier digestive systems just tougher?

I suppose tolerance is different for everyone. We had some kind of casserole we made when my niece was staying with us and it got left out. She woke up to go to school the next morning and chowed down on it. Said they do it all the time at home, no biggie, never been sick.

My system would have gone into shock and I'd be sick all day. Of course mayo can do that to me on its own, so I'm not exactly a good judge of food safety.

A fridge thawed cornish game hen. It was very chilled when I took it out and seasoned it. I let it get to room temp, and then some. i stuck it back in the freezer real quick, and then down to the fridge. Please tell me I can BBQ it safely. I don't want to toss it.

Are statistics in my favor?
In any case "they" recommend allowing meat that's been in the 'fridge to come to room temp before cooking.

Make sure you cook it fully and not just on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom