General Question about Baking Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tried to edit that again but ran out of time.

If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.

I haven't buttered or basted in years and I'm a crispy skin fiend :LOL: My mom and I both love picking at crispy bits of turkey, sneaking just one more as it rests. And I'm a firm believer that crispy chicken skin goes bad overnight. It must be eaten fresh right away :yum: ;)

I get very crispy skin and very nice color at 350f. I have checked my oven temp to be certain and it was spot on. If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.

That 6 pound bird at 350 would take about 1.5 hours.

RB, if you've never done it at 425f how do you know? I've done it your way and so I know for sure I produce a better bird at 425F.

Beautiful looking bird, Kay. Another fan of high(er) heat roasting here, too. I must have crispy skin on my roast chickens. :yum:

Kayelle doesn't get that result, and neither do I. Why do you think you would?

Trust me, you're wasting time and money by applying oil or butter. As the chicken cooks, the fat under the skin melts. Removing the fat this way is what makes it crispy, as well as the heat hitting the outside of it.

Purely an opinion. Just as my post was.
Julia always gave her roasted chicken a good butter massage before putting it in the oven. Not to say its required, but I like to do it and its my money to waste! :LOL:
She had an opinion as all of us do. Who is to say one is "more" right than another.

Tried to edit that again but ran out of time.
I haven't buttered or basted in years and I'm a crispy skin fiend :LOL: My mom and I both love picking at crispy bits of turkey, sneaking just one more as it rests. And I'm a firm believer that crispy chicken skin goes bad overnight. It must be eaten fresh right away :yum: ;)

My roasted chicken comes out very crispy and I don't need 425f to do it. Is it that hard to understand that not everyone is going to do it your way?
That maybe some other way might work just as well?
For the record, I do not baste either.

RB, if you've never done it at 425f how do you know? I've done it your way and so I know for sure I produce a better bird at 425F.

Roasting a chicken in my oven at 425f would over brown it, well before the chicken is done. This is more a guess than a fact. I base my assumption because 350 does the job just fine.
Why would I roast at a higher temp when I get a nicely browned and crispy skinned bird at 350?

Purely an opinion. Just as my post was.
Julia always gave her roasted chicken a good butter massage before putting it in the oven. Not to say its required, but I like to do it and its my money to waste! :LOL:
She had an opinion as all of us do. Who is to say one is "more" right than another.

What I posted is not an opinion. It's a provable fact. There is a big difference.

My roasted chicken comes out very crispy and I don't need 425f to do it. Is it that hard to understand that not everyone is going to do it your way?
That maybe some other way might work just as well?
For the record, I do not baste either.

Do whatever you want but cooking the same thing at two different temperatures for the same amount of time will not produce the same results. I've done it at 350 and get better results at 425. That also is a fact and not an opinion.

Roasting a chicken in my oven at 425f would over brown it, well before the chicken is done. This is more a guess than a fact. I base my assumption because 350 does the job just fine.

If you haven't done both and compared the results, then yes, it's a guess and not a fact. So just refrain from making definitive statements based on guesses.

Your infomation is very interesting, and I will certainly follow the guidelines that you have all given.

I have to say though that all input is valuable, and I read eveythying with respect to those who contribute. Many thanks to you all.

di reston

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom