Got a duck in the freezer... what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonr

Senior Cook
I bought a duck the other day, sort of for the hell of it, and I have it sitting in my freezer. Trouble is, I don't quite know what to do with it. Any ideas? Any good roast duck recipes?

In Louisiana, they have a great way of cooking duck, something I would never have imagined otherwise, but it sure is good!

They deeply prick the ducks all over with a fork, then boil the ducks in a pot of water with a package of crab and shrimp boil for about an hour or so. Then the ducks are removed from the boil, liberally coated with garlic butter, and baked for about 15-20 minutes at somewhere between 325-350 degrees F, frequently basting with more garlic butter, to crisp the skin.

Tender, juicy and out of this world delicious!

Audeo, that sounds like a "hunting camp" recipe to me. I will have to tell my husband about this one-he's a duck hunter and hardly ever gets to go anymore.

jasonr, whatever you do, SAVE THE DUCK FAT. It's perfectly gorgeous for frying potatoes in.

Yikes. I'm a little hesitant to try Peking duck, as the last time was a complete disaster. The Louisiana recipe sounds interesting, but I don't really want to have to go out and start buying shrimp and crab. (I've already spent enough money, and I don't even like seafood)

Frankly, I find cooking to be pretty intimidating. (I find it rarely works well for me) I would like to avoid hanging the duck from twine, or any of that exotic stuff, as the more complicated the procedure, I find the greater the chance of a disaster, and I hate to have to throw another 5 LBS duck in the garbage like last time. Does someone have something foolproof, but good quality? (the basting in garlic butter idea sounded pretty cool)

Back
Top Bottom