Ground turkey, do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
its pretty much the only ground meat i use, that and ground pork. i havn't bought ground beef in a good 10 years. i use the stuff in anything that i would use ground beef for.

I haven't used it in awhile, but I have used it in a cordon bleu roll I often make, as well as burgers. Though with the burgers I added relish, chopped green onions, Italian herb seasoning and a bit of tabasco to help give some moisture and flavour.

I've tried it 4 times in 2-3 years, and just do not like it at all.
Tastes funny to me.

I use it all the time in place of ground beef. Yes the taste is not the same but it has a lot less fat and that works for me. Here are things I use it in:

Ground Turkey and Peas curry - Spices that you use make a whole lot of difference in the end product. Given Indian food is laden with spices it works very well with ground turkey
Sheekh Kababs - I make these all the time and they are always a hit. Everyone I have shared these with, even those who don't like turkey enjoy them
Kofta Curry - Turkey meatballs instead of beef in a spicy, frangrant sauce
Lasagne
Tacos
Meatloaf - Again I am Indian so my meatloaf is very different than the standard American version. In my version the turkey is marinated with fresh ginger, garlic, spices, breadcrumbs, cilantro, mint, eggs, fried onions and then I put some more beaten egg to cover the top and bake it. I even fool my die hard beef lover husband that it is not beef
I also make omelettes/frittata with left over ground turkey and veggies and cheese. It's just as flavorful as the beef version

Oh, yeah, I make turkey meat ball soup, my interpetation of an idea I got on Iron Chef, everybody loves it here.

I use it all the time in place of ground beef. Yes the taste is not the same but it has a lot less fat and that works for me.

Yakuta -- what kind of turkey do you use? I find that extra-lean beef can have less fat than regular ground turkey. If you like the flavor of beef more, it's worth checking out :)

That said, my default is ground turkey breast. I use it for tacos, meatballs, and even tomato sauce sometimes. Once in a while, I'll go for an extra-lean (1 gram fat/ounce) ground beef.

Cheers,
Tim

I had never been thrilled with the dry texture of the extra-lean ground turkey that I had been using; then I discovered that the regular ground turkey tastes better. I've never done a fat/calorie comparison, though, between it and the 4 percent fat ground beef that I use and like.

I use ground turkey breast all the time. In some recipes, like tacos, I like it better than ground beef. I have never noticed an odd taste or smell. But it could be because the ground turkey I buy is mostly white meat.

I think in our household, it depends upon what is on sale that week. We use either really lean ground beef or regular ground turkey but in the exact same manner as ground beef...except maybe in hamburgers. I think my dad just prefers that to be actual beef. But after spices and browning, we haven't noticed anything perceivably different between the two.

It's relative lack of flavor is what I like best about it. In chili for instance, I don't like the taste that beef gives to it. The turkey gives it some substance, and leaves the flavor to the seasoning and the tomatoes. Same for tacos, very similar texture to ground beef, less grease and a better base for the seasoning.

Hi SNPiccolo, I buy my beef, chicken, lamb and goat at a butcher shop. The only meat I buy packaged is ground turkey. I try to get a good quality one (Perdue mostly).

The ground beef I buy is hand trimmed by the butcher and then ground so it is low in fat. From what I have read, in addition to fat content differences, the composition of red meat (how fibres in it interconnect) is also a factor why it's not considered the healthiest (how our body has to process it). In short, I use it in moderation.

To me the slight difference in taste of ground turkey or chicken is O.K. if it gives me the protein and is still relatively healthy in the long run for my body.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom