Help Me Create a Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys.

I want to make a creamy/cheesy dish.

i want to use these ingredients.

Boneless Chicken Breast
Broccoli Florets
White Rice
Cheese

I want these to be the main components..i want to do it casserole style... also i see in some casseroles they add in a can of soup..i wouldnt mind doing that.....

can someone help me put something together? A dish with like 4 serving. Basically i will be using aroudn 1 pound of chicken breast you can scale everything to that....

thanks in advance..... would it be best to cook the chicken first with this kind of recipe and cut it into chunks? like chunks the same size as broccoli or wil it get overcooked when i bake the casserole???

don't cook the chicken first, especially if you chunk. those little pieces will cook too fast and dry out and/or get tough.

put a little of the the liquid (can o' soup mixed with same can o' milk - or go nuts and use a canful of cream) in the bottom of your pan first. I like using a glass pan for this. For extra cheesy, you should probably make a mornay sauce (bechamel + cheese - check out the Sauces forum for how to do it: I think ironchef, so handy for these sorts of things, has some info there).

then spread uncooked rice on top ( a cup?), then the raw chicken, then pour the rest of the liquid over it and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes, lift foil to see how juicy everything looks. If it's to your liking, remove foil and remove pan from oven. If you think it needs a little longer, take the foil off and put back in the oven for a few minutes at a time until you like what you see.

Not sure about where in the mix to add to broccoli (before or after chicken) cuz we never eat it here.

Oh, yeah - you can always sprinkle some more shredded cheese on top of everything - probably better near the end of the cooking time.

hope this helps.

This recipe sounds like it would fit the bill. I make it all the time...it's a favorite at my house.

I like things a little spicier, so I alse add a little white pepper and soy sauce to perk it up.

Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup pasteurized process cheese spread
3 cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
1 (10-ounce) box frozen broccoli cuts, thawed, drained
1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs or crushed croutons

Melt butter in a Dutch oven with oil over high heat; swirl pan to blend. Add chopped mushrooms. Cook and stir over high heat about 2 minutes. Add onion and chicken-breast pieces. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until chicken is just cooked through, stirring in garlic the last minute or so.
Add undiluted mushroom soup and the cheese spread (or if using Velveeta, dice it). Stir until cheese is melted. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the cooked rice, thawed broccoli, water chestnuts, sour cream and pepper. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish sprayed with a nonstick product.
Bake at 400 degrees, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with Cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs (a bit of grated Parmesan mixed in with the crumbs is optional). Return to oven until cheese melts.

I'd turn this into a skillet dinner. Slice chicken in strips, toss in olive oil, and season with S&P and a hint of Cajun Seasoning. Saute quickly, on slightly less than high heat, in large skillet with a little olive oil and butter, until golden. Remove chicken and set aside.
At this point, you may add julienned sweet red peppers, thinly sliced leeks, drained canned mushrooms, etc, to the remaining fat in the pan and sautee.

In the meantime, put your broccoli florets (and peeled, sliced stems, if you wish) in a saucepan with a can of chicken broth, and braise until barely tender. Drain broccoli, reserving liquid.

Get your rice cooking, using liquid from broccoli and water as needed.

When your sauteed vegetables are done to your liking, estimate the amount of fat in pan, and add equal amount of flour. If you see grease oozing from it, add a little more flour. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup milk for each tablespoon of flour. Return to heat and cook on med/ high, stirring a bit, until mixture starts to bubble. Lower heat to medium, and stir constantly until sauce thickens. Add grated cheeses of your choice, and stir until cheese is melted.
Add cooked chicken, broccoli, and a few pimentoes if you didn't do the peppers. Taste and reseason.

Ladle over cooked rice, and top with another sprinkle of cheese.

I just did this off the top of my head. I'd probably use noodles instead of rice. One could also add a couple of ounces of cream cheese to the sauce.

Last edited:
You're welcome, MLB, & thank you, Constance. I like the product as well. :)

Last edited:
This is TNT! We love it but limit to only having it on the holidays. Just add some chicken and you're set! You can also put breadcrumbs on the top if you desire.
Broccoli Rice Casserole
2 (10 oz) packages frozen chopped broccoli
2 cups rice, cooked (I use jasmine)
1 (10.75 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 oz) cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cup water
16-32 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I do this by taste, last time I used 32 oz of cheddar)
1 TBS butter
1 large onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook broccoli and rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onion until soft.
3. Reduce heat to low, add soups, and water. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Be careful that the cheese doesn't burn.
4. Take saucepan off heat and stir in broccoli and rice. Season with salt and pepper and add more cheese if desired.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until topping is bubbly and lightly browned.

Back
Top Bottom