Help me to like chicken breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer chicken breast, much fewer ookies than thighs or legs, and I prefer the flavor. I used to just discard the dark meat after cooking a whole bird, but now I use it for stock and soup. I coated a bunch of breast nuggets in mayo and shook them up in a ziplock bag of seasoned panko last night, then baked them. Nice and moist, with a good crunch.

What the heck are "ookies"? And why would there be any such in a chicken thigh or drumstick? I've never seen anything particularly unappetizing in the dark meat, no more than the white meat.

What the heck are "ookies"? And why would there be any such in a chicken thigh or drumstick? I've never seen anything particularly unappetizing in the dark meat, no more than the white meat.

Dark meat chicken contains more cartilage and connective tissue which is why it needs to be cooked to a higher temperature.

Drums, in particular, contain tendons and other things that a lot of people find to be "ookie"

Last edited:
Dark meat chicken contains more cartilage and connective tissue which is why it needs to be cooked to a higher temperature.

Drums, in particular, contain tendons and other things that a lot of people find to be "ookie"

I find that to be much more of a problem with a turkey drumstick than with chicken. And I don't see anything like that in the thigh.

Oh they are there in chicken, too. That's supposedly a picture of a chicken drumstick.

And thighs have more connective tissue and cartilage than breasts.

Just the nature of the beast.

I get a chuckle when people say that boneless chicken breast is dry and has little flavor. Of course it doesn't. It's all protein and no fat and, without fat or another source of moisture, it's difficult to infuse flavor into the meat. As mentioned, a couple of things will help. First, you'll have better success with bone-in skin-on chicken breasts. If you are really opposed to eating the skin, then just remove it before eating. Personally, though, I think the skin is the only part of a chicken breast that has any flavor.

Also, brining will help, since, again, the brine provides a conduit for getting some flavor to the inside of the breast. I actually don't brine very often myself. In my opinion, it can contribute to sort of a "mushy" texture, for lack of a better word. What I typically do is salt and season the meat the night before I plan to cook it, and then leave it in the fridge to give those flavors time to transfer into the meat. Using brining solution helps provide some additional moisture, but I find it's still plenty moist as long as I leave the skin intact, as the fat in the skin also helps keep the interior moist.

I agree with most of what you've said, Steve, although I don't think seasoning overnight is necessary. I recently made a Mexican-style casserole for a potluck. I seasoned boneless, skinless breasts with fajita seasoning (with a few extra shakes of stuff) and let it sit for about a half hour before cooking them in a sauté pan. They had lots of flavor.

Bobby Flay made chicken burritos for brunch recently. He fried the chicken skin and used them inside the burritos as cracklins' :LOL: :yum:

I think one of the biggest issues with most chicken is that it's factory raised and lacking flavor. Periodically we get an uncaged (free range) chicken and you can smell the difference as it cooks! More flavor, not boring and a little more fat IN the meat rather than just under the skin. The difference is quite astonishing. We seem to have forgotten that chicken can be ... well, succulent instead of bland, boring and dry.

Ookies, lol! DH and I are perfectly matched. He prefers dark meat and I prefer white, although both of us will eat either one. But when we have legs or thighs, he finishes what I don't eat from them. Insists I leave too much meat! :ROFLMAO:

I agree with most of what you've said, Steve, although I don't think seasoning overnight is necessary. I recently made a Mexican-style casserole for a potluck. I seasoned boneless, skinless breasts with fajita seasoning (with a few extra shakes of stuff) and let it sit for about a half hour before cooking them in a sauté pan. They had lots of flavor.
You're right. For me, I often get home late from work and don't have a lot of time to get dinner on the table. So I've just gotten into the habit over the years of doing a lot of my prep the night before or in the morning before heading out the door.

But yeah, I think 30-60 minutes for something like a chicken breast is fine.

I buy breast meat for Pirate. He likes to make cutlets from them for Chicken Cutlets Parm. Otherwise I would never buy them. Well, maybe for a quick chicken broth or soup. Or.....

I will cut up the breast real tiny, make a mixture of mayo, finely diced onion and celery, a small dash of mixed Italian seasonings with salt and pepper then add the diced chicken. Mix well, cover and let sit in fridge for 24 hours.

I simmer the breast on low until done. Very moist. Like most protein foods, low and slow.

I made this a couple of weeks ago. I had a half sandwich minus the crust, Pirate had two huge ones. What was left didn't last long. Every time one of us opened the fridge, had a spoon in hand and took a mouthful.

This also makes an excellent filling for stuffed tomatoes. One time I made this for Cherry tomatoes. Used my "Just A Dash" measuring spoon to scoop out the tomatoes. They were a hit at the Christmas party, but not worth all the work. One has to be dedicated to go that far. So not me. :angel:

Last edited:
There is a world of flavor difference between a piece of breast and a thigh, for both taste and texture.

Though you might be right, but Try to cook unseasoned dark chicken meat, then tell me how much flavor it had. I am obviously talking about proper seasoning, not only proper cooking.

I just tried a boneless, skinless chicken breast recipe last night that came out pretty good.

Take a can of cream of chicken soup and mix in an envelope of Italian dressing seasoning mix. Pour it into the crock pot and start on low. Also add 8 oz of softened cream cheese cut into chunks. When the cream cheese is soft enough to be blended into the soup mix, use a whisk and thoroughly blend it. Then drop in your chicken breast - it doesn't have to be thawed - and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low. I cooked my chicken breast for 6 hours last night and it came out very tender. This sauce mix will be more than enough for two to three breasts.

You can also add other spices to ramp up the flavor if you want. I added salt, pepper, and cayenne and next time I'll add some parsley and garlic powder as well.

I also tossed 4 Dutch baby potatoes into the crock pot with the chicken for the last two hours and those came out nice and tender too.

Here's another one, although if you don't want to eat the chicken skin, then maybe this recipe isn't for you, but it's good! I will occasionally get the bone in, skin on chicken breasts. Here they're called 'split chicken breasts' and they have them as cheap as $1.99/pound. What I like to do is salt the breast all over with kosher salt and then I put it in a pan or on a rack over a pan and cook at 400° for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size. The high heat and the salt crisps up the skin and makes the chicken really juicy and tender. And it's delicious. I know it sounds like the chicken should be dry and tasteless after that long in the oven at that temperature, but it doesn't get that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom