HELP - Turkey Cooking Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JapanHusker said:
Does anybody have a nice and easy, yet delicious brine recipe?

I heard that the whole bird must be submerged overnight in the brine (usually in a large container). What about putting the bird in a large cooking bag, then adding the brine and tying it up, would that work? I ask cuz my fridge - along with my stove - is Japanese-sized, so space is limited.

One other thing: I HAVE seen some brine recipes, and they all call for "kosher" salt. Not sure exactly what that is, nor if I can get it here. However, what if I used "sea salt", would that work?

JH

Alton Brown (Good Eats) on Food Network did a show on brining. If you go to www.foodtv.com and click on recipes and do a search it should come up. Kosher salt is "flatter" and coarser than the regular table salt used in the US. This is the usage tips from my box of Morton (brand name) Kosher salt. "Generally you can use Morton coarse Kosher salt in your favorite recipes as you would use Morton table salt or Canning and Pickling salt...teaspoon for teaspoon. For amounts greater than 1/4 cup, increase the amount ot Kosher salt by 1 tablespoon for each 1/4 cup of Kosher salt." So, it seems to me that if you are using a fine grained salt in an amount over 1/4 cup in a recipe calling for Kosher salt, you would need to decrease the amount by 1 tablespoon per 1/4 cup. There may be more accurate information on the foodtv website.

Thanks. Well, we will have between 11 and 14 people total (including us), so I was really hoping to go with a 16-18 lb.

Now, I am debating whether to cook TWO birds separtately at 10 - 12 lbs a piece. That would make sure we would have more than enough and it would cut down on other "filler" food (e.g. casseroles) I'd have to make to make up for the lost meat. IN addition, should I completely fail on the first one, at least I could try to make some adjustments on the second to salvage the day.

OR

Go with either a 10-12 lb or 12-14 lb and, as mentioned above, have some more filler food - make an extra casserole or two. Another option to this (I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) is to go out and buy a couple roasted chickens. This would assure plenty of meat, as well as having a variety of tastes.

Quite a quandary...

Japan, I quite agree with your last idea. Part of the joy of Turkey Day is the multitude of side dishes!

Hugs and Good Luck!

Noted.

So here is one for you then:

Say I were to go with the 10-12 lb bird for around 11 people (much less than the usually recommended 1.5 lbs per person). Aside from veggies and deviled eggs for appetizers, the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni salad, 2 casseroles, bisquits, and 3 pies (2 pumpkin and a chocolate silk) I am planning, any suggestions what I might add to assure enough food along with a variety of tastes?

Go with a chicken or two, or another salad, or maybe another casserol perhaps? Or, will what I listed be more than enough?

NOTE: This is the first Thanksgiving I have ever held so I am shooting from the hip here (based on memories of Thanksgivings Past when growing up - but, at that time, I really didn't pay much attention to how many were there and how much was served. I just ATE!)

Much thanks!

JH

JapanHusker said:
Unfortunately, cannot buy one of those here. I am confined to using my Japanese sized oven.

Thanks anyway.

You should be able to get one at any BX or at least mail order..If all else fails smoke one! :) But I did do some checking and from what I found you should get a turkey that will still give you 2 inches from the top and the bottom. Put your turkey on a roasting rack in a pan and cover with foil..cook in a slow oven for about 3 hours for a 20lb turkey and then turn up the heat and remove the foil for the last half hour to brown the skin..Tip: paprika on the skin will help it brown better..

The Tot

JapanHusker said:
Noted.

So here is one for you then:

Say I were to go with the 10-12 lb bird for around 11 people (much less than the usually recommended 1.5 lbs per person). Aside from veggies and deviled eggs for appetizers, the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, macaroni salad, 2 casseroles, bisquits, and 3 pies (2 pumpkin and a chocolate silk) I am planning, any suggestions what I might add to assure enough food along with a variety of tastes?

Go with a chicken or two, or another salad, or maybe another casserol perhaps? Or, will what I listed be more than enough?

NOTE: This is the first Thanksgiving I have ever held so I am shooting from the hip here (based on memories of Thanksgivings Past when growing up - but, at that time, I really didn't pay much attention to how many were there and how much was served. I just ATE!)

Much thanks!

JH

A cranberry relish of some sort would be nice.

It's always a god idea to use less table salt if you are subbing it in a recipe where kosher salt is called for. Even in small amounts. Esp. in baking and especially if you are using Diamond Crystal brand (which has larger flakes).

Here's Alton Brown's conversion:

If you want to use table salt for kosher salt, multiply the kosher salt quantity by 2/3, eg. 1 teaspoon kosher salt = 2/3 teaspoon table salt; 1 cup kosher = 2/3 cup table.

If you want to use kosher salt for table salt, multiply the table salt quantity by 1.5., eg 1 teaspoon table salt = 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt; 1 cup table = 1 1/2 cup kosher.

More fun Alton Factoids

Back
Top Bottom