Homemade Chicken Alfredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Weeks

Senior Cook
2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
2 shallots, minced
1 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 pints heavy cream
2 cups grated parmesan cheese

Place the chicken in a bowl with the pepper, garlic powder and cumin, then add the italian dressing and mix so that the dressing/spice mixture coats all of the pieces of chicken. Let this sit in the refridgerator as long as you like. The longer it sits, the more of the flavors will sink into the chicken. I've been marinating mine for 2-3 hours on average, but that's just me.

Mince the shallots and heat 3 tbsp of the butter along with the olive oil in a saucepan (yes, a saucepan). Add the shallots and sautee them until browned and very aromatic.

Add the chicken and 1 cup of the dry white wine. I've been using a fantastic dry sauvignon blanc, but my girlfriend prefers riesling auchlese. Your choice entirely. Sautee until the chicken is nice and golden. Set the chicken and whatever of the shallots are left from this in a bowl nearby (the shallots should practically "melt" into the glaze on the pan and on the chicken). Cover it with foil to keep the heat in.

Deglaze the pan with the rest of the wine and 2 tbsp of the remaining butter (not too much), and let this come to a slow simmer over medium heat. Add the heavy cream and whisk briskly to blend the oils with the cream.

When the cream/butter/wine has come to a nice slow simmer, whisk in the cheese, making sure to get it nice and even into the sauce. If the cheese is having troubles melting, turn up the heat slightly and keep whisking.

Reduce the sauce to the desired consistency. While doing this, melt the remaining butter in a bowl and add some garlic powder and/or white pepper to it. When the sauce has reached the taste and consistency you're looking for, take it that extra step by "monte a beurre", mounting it with butter. Whisk in the butter slowly and let it simmer for just a few moments longer. Let the sauce sit, then skim the top with piece of paper towel to get the majority of the un-suspended oils off of the sauce.

Serve with the chicken and enjoy! My favorite pasta to use with this recipe is "Al Dente" brand spinach linguine. Fantastic pasta! Beware, this stuff is outrageously rich, so don't go overboard loading up a plate. *grin*

Hey Weeks, this looks great. Welcome back to the boards. Glad to see you are around again :)

It's not an elaborate sauce, really. I'm trying, on the inputs of some professionals I know, to cut down to the basics and enhance the flavor of SIMPLE recipes with good technique instead of adding ingredients and obfuscating the flavors.

As my boss told me, "Keep it simple, but elegant. Never overcompensate for bad technique with spices or a smorgasbord of ingredients. Enhance the flavor already in the basic sauce by using fresh ingredients and proper technique."

Alfredo is supposed to be a simple sauce - why mess with perfection! lol

Now, if you want to change things up every now and then I will make cheese tortellini with Alfredo but add sliced sun-dried tomatoes towards the end of cooking. Whatever oil sticks to the tomatoes is fine - flavors it nicely.

Capers is also al nice addition.

Then if I want to make a really rich appetizer portion I will smoke some scallops and slice andouilli sausage (sauted already in skillet to caramalize the outside) and add them to the alfredo and tortellini - rich but good for a small appetizer.

I'm making alfredo for 50 on friday - I figure it's probably the most simple thing I can do for a crowd.

Back
Top Bottom