Homemade Chicken & Noodles TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
My Mom's Homemade Chicken & Noodles

NOTE: Mom cooked pretty much by sight, feel and taste and only really measured when it came to baking. However, I watched her enough to get the basics of the recipe and through all my years of cooking I was able to make them just like her.

Clean 1 whole chicken really well and add it to a dutch oven (I keep my chicken whole but you can cut it up if you want) add 2 stalks of diced celery - leaves included, 1 diced medium onion, 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper and 1 can of low sodium chicken brothe....... then add enough water to cover the chicken. I let this come to a boil and then turn the heat to low and let the chicken cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat pulls away easily from the bone. Remove the chicken from the broth and let cool till your able to tolerate the heat of the meat. Don't let it cool completely because the skin becomes really sticky and the white meat tends to dry out. Pick away the meat and break into bite size pieces. Add the meat back to the broth and leave the heat on low.

Noodles:
In a large bowl beat 3 large eggs. Add a good pinch of salt and a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper or 20 grinds and 1/8th cup of milk. I then start adding the flour. I start with 1 cup and mix that in and then keep adding a little flour at a time mixing that in till I get a dough that isn't sticky. I knead that a little but not too much because you don't want tough noodles. I flour a work surface and my rolling pin and seperate the dough into 4 balls. NOTE: Keep a pile of flour near by so that you can keep flouring the work surface and your rolling pin when needed. Be sure after you roll it out on one side to rub a little flour over that surface and flip it over and repeat till you get the desired thickness you want. I do one dough ball at a time....roll it out relatively thin or leave a little thicker its all up to you ....personally we like them thinner. Remember that they will puff up some when cooking so don't leave them too thick. I then slice them into long strips about 1/4" wide and once I have all the strips cut I pull off about 2" pieces to make the noodle pieces. I throw them into a colander then. Once all the noodles have been broke into 2" pieces and put in the colander I shake some of the flour off but not all because I like a little so it thickens the broth some.
Add the noodles to the broth and stir them around so they don't stick together. Bring it all up to a boil again and back down to low. I let it cook on low for about 1/2 hour...stir occasionally so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan...... and then taste the broth and reseason. I always end up adding more salt and pepper but remember you can always add more but you can't take out so only add a small amount at a time. I let the noodles cook in the broth for a total of about 1 hour.

We serve the noodles over mashed potatoes. Mom was from Missouri and this is a dish that she brought back with her and its a family favorite that we have every holiday plus I make it throughout the year. If you go to reheat it and the broth seems a bit too thick then add some chicken broth from a can or water.....you may have to reseason a little after this.

Back
Top Bottom