Hot BBQ Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickey_72

Assistant Cook
We had a little post Thanksgiving turkery dinner potluck at work a couple of weeks ago and I improvised this recipe.

6 pounds of frozen Chicken Wings baked at 400 degrees for about an hour.
Sprinkled some of my BBQ rub on top of them before placing in the oven. Be sure to cover your cookie sheets (or other pans) with aluminum foil because the rub tends to blacken and stick to the pan.

Originally I planned on coating them with some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce (purchased at the recommendation of a friend) but it had that store bought taste. I decided to add some zing and depth to it.

Add the following to a small sauce pan and simmer till boiling then remove from heat and set asside until the wings are done cooking:(adjust to taste)
1 Bottle Sweet Baby Rays original sauce
5oz (or more) Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1Tb dark molasses (do not use honey!)
pinch of crushed red pepper
1Tb of BBQ Rub
dime sized squirt of yellow mustard
(this is all aproximate)

This gave the wings a nice Tangy BBQ taste with a delayed touch of heat. It's just enough heat to make it good without causing pain to the innocent. There are only 3 fire eaters (counting me) in my group so I kept it tame. No promises but this should be mild enough to serve to a average gathering. If you like heat then don't be afraid to experiment with your favorite viegar based pepper sauce(s).

BBQ Rub (from How to Grill by Steven Raichlen):

1/4 cup of sweet paprika
1/4 cup brown sugar
4Tb Kosher salt
3Tb black pepper
2tsp onion powder
2tsp celery seeds
2tsp garlic powder
1tsp cayenne pepper (or more)

Break up the clumps of brown sugar. I like to comine everything in a used Kraft (or similar) parmessian cheese container and shake it well. This works great when using it as a rub but if you are sprinkling it on frozen meat I would use a small spice jar (I used the one the paprika came in).

After the wings have cooked brush the sauce on heavily. I use a paintbrush with a natural (no finish) handle that is only used in the kitchen.

Once that is done you can keep them warm in a crochpot.

These smelled and tasted wonderful. People in other departments were walking by and asking what smelled so good. Out of 6lbs I had 8 wings left to take home. Not bad for a group of 10 considering the turkey and all of the other food.

MMmmm reminds me I think I'll pull those 8 out of the freezer and have them for lunch tomorrow.:pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom