Hot Chicken Salad...In Need of a Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red's Kitchen

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone
We love chicken salad made from the left-overs of a nice large roasted chicken. Toss it on salad greens (or lawn clippings, as my son calls them) and you have a lovely lunch. However, I would like to make something warm for dinner but every recipe seems to call for canned chicken soup which I don't want to add. Any ideas? Thanks so much ahead of time.;)

Not on lettuce, even though it could be done. Just want to do something different with that leftover chicken sitting there looking at me...know what I mean?
Thanks for the greeting. I love to read Discuss Cooking and rarely write but this is important.:LOL:

Hi. I got this recipe from my aunt, who said it came from my grandmother. Hope you like it :)

Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups cut-up chicken
2 cups thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. grated onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips (barbecued chips give better flavor)

Heat oven to 450*. Combine ingredients, reserving 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 cup potato chips. Pile lightly into casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and potato chips. Bake 15 minutes. Serves 6.

I have almost the same recipe, except mine calls for almonds instead of walnuts.
Personally, I would skip the nuts althogether and add a few olives, green or black. I think pimentos or roasted red peppers would also be a good addition. If you want more crunch, you could go with water chestnuts.

Tried GotGarlic's Aunts recipe. It was a huge success!! We all :pig: out royally!!! Talk about a great comfort food. :) I do agree with the variations and will try them with my next roasting chicken.
Thanks for your help!!

Hi. I got this recipe from my aunt, who said it came from my grandmother. Hope you like it :)

Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups cut-up chicken
2 cups thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. grated onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup crushed potato chips (barbecued chips give better flavor)

Heat oven to 450*. Combine ingredients, reserving 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 cup potato chips. Pile lightly into casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and potato chips. Bake 15 minutes. Serves 6.

BINGO! That's the one I have had too - really yummy!........ well, with almonds instead of walnuts - sliced almonds to be exact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom