How can I cook chicken so it's not tough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whywhy

Assistant Cook

When I cook chicken in the oven it comes out tough. Is there any way for my chicken to come out tender?

Welcome to DC!!! Are you cooking a whole chicken, or pieces? Tell us how you're doing it, tender chicken in the oven is very possible!!!:)

Usually, chicken gets tough and leathery when it's overcooked.

I recommend you use a thermometer to check internal temperature of the chicken. Chicken MUST be cooked to a minimum of 161 F in all parts of the meat. Anywhere between 161and 170 F will give you juicy tender chicken.

While I agree with Andy about overcooking, another possibility is very undercooked!! Ick!! I think we need to know how it is being done.

Sounds like it's being undercooked. I find that long, slow roasting will give the chicken a "falling off the bone" quality rather than making it tough. We need more information in order to help you. Give us a detailed account as to temperature, and length of roasting time.

Andy M. said:
Usually, chicken gets tough and leathery when it's overcooked.

I recommend you use a thermometer to check internal temperature of the chicken. Chicken MUST be cooked to a minimum of 161 F in all parts of the meat. Anywhere between 161and 170 F will give you juicy tender chicken.

I agree with you Andy, overcooked - I know this from experience, my mom always wanted everything cooked through so most of our meats were equal to shoe leather! I use a meat thermometer for everything! I am curious though, I thought chicken had to be cooked to 180 degrees?

Seems my memory says 180* whole bird...170* for breast pieces...and 180* for thighs and wings...Also the saying..."till the juices run clear"
I think these are USDA guidelines...It's what I go by anyway....

I roast a chicken (about 4#), liberally salted and peppered at 400* for an hour. It is succulent--and done. ;o)

You can also dry or wet brine the chicken to make it more tender and juicy.

I have the Zuni Cookbook and the Zuni chicken is dry brined (coated with a salt/sugar mixture) for a day before roasting and man is it good!

Uncle Bob, You have received ALL good advise. What is the "quality" of your chicken. Sometimes you can get "an old hen". Chicken to be sure must follow proper cooking time...already mentioned.

Aria...

Uncle Bob not cook tough chicken :boxing: ...Uncle Bob's chicken as tender as Mother's love:LOL: We were all trying to help "whywhy" with his/her problem.

Uncle Bob use "old hens" for alligator bait..:LOL:

When someone figures out how to cook a perfect roast chicken let me know. I'll pay big bucks... (well, maybe not "Big", but a decent amount...:LOL:).

Overcooked = Tough.

Breast meat should be 165ºF throughout (including near the breastbone/ribs).
Legs are a different story. Not just 180ºF, but cooked long enough so the collagen melts out and gives the meat a tender/unxiousness (joint wiggle method applies here).
Oh, and the skin needs to be golden brown all the way round'.

I usually break the chicken down and roast pieces separately.
I'm kinda picky though... :pig:

I roast on an elevated rack with onions/giblets (minus liver) underneath. Then I make a good Au Jus to serve with the chicken pieces.

Nicholas Mosher said:
When someone figures out how to cook a perfect roast chicken let me know. I'll pay big bucks... (well, maybe not "Big", but a decent amount...:LOL:).

Very simple - brine that bird first in water, Kosher salt, & sugar! When it's done brining, rinse it, & allow it to air dry uncovered over a rack in the fridge overnight if you like crispy skin, then roast. Trust me - you're gonna love it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom