How Do I Keep Turkey Breast Moist While Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was an interesting and useful chart about temperatures to pasteurize turkey breast that jennyema shared.

I came across a recipe for grilled chicken sandwiches that said to cook them to 165°F. So, I decided to Duckduckgo "chicken pasteurization". I found this blog post from Thermoworks (the company that makes Thermapens and other thermometers for cooking). There is some serious info about chicken pasteurization temps vs time:

Chicken Internal Temps: Everything You Need To Know

I took a screenshot of the chart and will print it out.

Thanks everyone. Great info here and I'll definitely refer back to this thread for Thanksgiving.

I actually decided (based on what someone else posted) that since this was a Butterball turkey breast that had already been injected with a sodium solution, I wasn't going to do anything to it. The instructions said to rub some oil on it and I did that, but I didn't add anything to it or touch it until it was time to come out.

I had always heard that Butterballs were the best and I decided that since I had one, I should just test it out. It was actually really good. It didn't need any seasonings or anything. I wish I had eaten more that first night.

The leftovers were not good. But I find that to be common with every turkey, no matter how it was cooked or seasoned. I guess I'm just not in to turkey. Or maybe I don't like the white meat. Even turkey lunchmeat is yucky, in my opinion. I actually like the Jennie-O turkey loaf.

But I really liked some of the suggestions here and hope to try them out at Thanksgiving. I could do without turkey but my mom really likes having one so I'll give it another try. Thanks again.

As an offshoot of this discussion I raise the option of sous vide for chicken. Without hesitation, I can say SV chicken breast is, by far, the best chicken breast I've ever eaten. I cook mine to 145ºF. Tender and juicy like a steak.

I recommend the following article for anyone interested:

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast

It also offers cooking and temperature guidelines that ensure pasteurization.

The leftovers were not good. But I find that to be common with every turkey, no matter how it was cooked or seasoned. I guess I'm just not in to turkey. Or maybe I don't like the white meat. Even turkey lunchmeat is yucky, in my opinion. I actually like the Jennie-O turkey loaf.

But I really liked some of the suggestions here and hope to try them out at Thanksgiving. I could do without turkey but my mom really likes having one so I'll give it another try. Thanks again.

Reserve some of the turkey stock/broth made by boiling the neck, liver, and gizzards. Place the leftover turkey, both dark, and white meat into a large freezer bag. Pour the stock into the bag, and seal, after removing as much air s possible. Refrigerate overnight.

When ready to use, pour the bag contents into a pot over low heat. Bring to a temp of 145; F. The turkey will be full flavored, juicy, and tender.

Another way to make that leftover turkey scrumptious, is to place 3 tbs, each of flour and butter to a pan, with a touch of salt. Heat while stirring until this just starts to brow, This is called a blonde roux. Slowly add the turkey stock from the freezer bag, while vigorously stirring to form a rich sauce, This is called a Volute.

Remove from the heat. Wash, peel. and dice 2 carrots. Peel and dice 1/2 onion, and add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, with the carrot, to the volute. Place back over low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

While the mixture is simmering, dice the turkey into 1/4 inch paces. Test the carrots. When they are sufficiently cooked, stir in the turkey, plus a half cup of sweet peas. You now have turkey tetrazzini. Serve over heated mashed potatoes.

You will find that even cold in a sandwich, after refrigeration in the stock, the turkey will be moist, and tender, prefect for a club sandwich, or my favorite, a turkey and dressing sandwich.

Your leftover turkey doesn't have to be bland, and dry. You can use the leftover meat to make everything from an open faced turkey sandwich, smothered in gravy, to a turkey pot pie. You can even throw it into stir fries.

I hope these ideas will help elevate your leftover turkey onto something that is not only edible, but that is really, really good.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nprth

Back
Top Bottom