How long does the meat leave at room temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy23

Assistant Cook
I bought chicken drumsticks yesterday at around 2 pm uk time, I was going to put them in the oven, but after reading the recipe I found out that it is left for at least an hour at room temperature, it doesn't say anything maximum.
I left them in the sealed package yesterday in the kitchen at 2 o'clock in the kitchen, overnight it was about 18 degrees in the kitchen with the window open.

so i have around 20 hours on room temperature is it safe to eat them?
any one know what is the maximum time that can stay outside of fridge?

lI must say I think that was pretty risky leaving them overnight. Most meats will come to room temperature in less than an hour. The smaller the cut/pieces the faster. You shouldn't have had to leave them out for more than 20 minutes.

Depending on the freshness of the meat as to when you purchased it and the moisture inside the bag will all count on its safeness.

If they are not slimy nor really bad smelling then you could -
- dry them well with paper towels,
-wipe them down again with paper towels and a good splash of lemon juice.
-Smell them, anything funky?
If they just smell like chicken I say go ahead and cook them... to their proper internal cooked temperature.

Many here won't agree with me but it really is a personal judgement call on each situation.

:LOL:And DON'T leave any chicken, raw or cooked, out overnight again! ;):rolleyes: Except, of course, if your kitchen is below 40 F. in which case it is colder than your fridge and safe to leave out.

the fact you didn't open the package will probably have worked in your favour. Please let us know how it went!

ps
there is no maximum time something can stay out of a fridge. There are too many variables, temperature when started, density, room temp, drafts, air exposure, and I'm sure more to the list than I can think of.

I've air dried a beef roast for more than 3 days (in a cold room)
I've air dried whole chickens and ducks for more than 24 hours - (in the fridge)

In the United States, 2 hours is the maximum amount of time that raw meat should be left at room temperature. As Dragnlaw said, there are a lot of variables that affect how long it takes for foods to go bad during that time.

I think dragn's suggestion is reasonable. I'm hesitant to endorse it, though, since I don't know anything else about you, like your health status and medical history. It's a risk.

ps
there is no maximum time something can stay out of a fridge. There are too many variables, temperature when started, density, room temp, drafts, air exposure, and I'm sure more to the list than I can think of.

I've air dried a beef roast for more than 3 days (in a cold room)
I've air dried whole chickens and ducks for more than 24 hours - (in the fridge)
I disagree with this. There are maximum times for practically every type of food (except those that are specifically preserved to be shelf-stable). Enzymes and bacteria break food down and make it unsafe and/or unappealing to eat.

In the United States, 2 hours is the maximum amount of time that raw meat should be left at room temperature. As Dragnlaw said, there are a lot of variables that affect how long it takes for foods to go bad during that time.

I think dragn's suggestion is reasonable. I'm hesitant to endorse it, though, since I don't know anything else about you, like your health status and medical history. It's a risk.

Once again, I agree verbatim with what GG wrote.

I just meant specific times for specific meats.

If I were to say 'yes, you can leave that hamburger pattie out for 45 minutes and it will be safe'... I don't know how much it's been touched, was raw egg added to make the patties, what's the percentage of fat (lean, medium, etc) what the temperature is, the thickness of the pattie, was it frozen before, was it in the shop meat display for a day, did you bring it home this morning?

Of course there is always going to be a limit and there are, as you've mentioned, guidelines. Those guidelines I'm sure are fairly accurate but one still has to use their own judgement and I hope, although it seems to be coming rare, that they have common sense.

Oh, I think "common sense" has always been rare. "The trouble with common sense is that it is not nearly common enough." Samuel Clemens.

I just meant specific times for specific meats.
That's not what you said, though.

If I were to say 'yes, you can leave that hamburger pattie out for 45 minutes and it will be safe'... I don't know how much it's been touched, was raw egg added to make the patties, what's the percentage of fat (lean, medium, etc) what the temperature is, the thickness of the pattie, was it frozen before, was it in the shop meat display for a day, did you bring it home this morning?

Of course there is always going to be a limit and there are, as you've mentioned, guidelines. Those guidelines I'm sure are fairly accurate but one still has to use their own judgement and I hope, although it seems to be coming rare, that they have common sense.
People who are new to cooking don't have the information needed to rely on their own judgment. That's why the smart ones ask questions.

The older I get, the more I notice that people who say people should use common sense are older and more experienced and often educated than the people who don't use "common sense."

It should be common sense not to have parties during a pandemic of a viral disease spread by droplets floating in the air...

It's been only a day, but jimmy hasn't logged on since his question. I hope he didn't cook that left-way-too-long chicken and get sick. :neutral:

Roch, I don't know if anyone's digestive system is that sturdy. :ermm:

We've all seen those who come and ask a question, and then split for who knows why.

He must have figured there could be a safety problem though, so that's something.

For me, there's no excuse for dancing with the devil when it comes to food safety as I've been a victim of food poisoning through no fault of my own. Throwing out a few bucks of chicken is a small price to pay if there is any question.
It will serve to pay attention next time.

TWENTY hours at room temp is a no brainer....throw it out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom