How to smoke a turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayde

Assistant Cook
Help! My husband asked me to smoke a turkey this year. :bangin::ohmy: I have smoked a beer can chicken before but not a turkey. Any help would be appreciated.

Michelle

jayde, I smoke a turkey every year. I brine overnight and up to 24 hours for a VERY big turkey then smoke for about 8 hours or so. I always finish mine in the oven though for the last couple hours. The pan juices from a brined and smoked turkey make the most amazing gravy!!!

It's basically the same as your chicken, it just takes longer. I also do my brine a bit differently, as I use all apple juice and no water, plus other things. If you want a recipe for my brine just PM me.

The biggest tip I can give you is about half way through rotate your turkey if you are using a square-type smoker. The back cooked way more than the front, where the door was.

The smoking section should provide lots of specific info.

The questions are, how device are you using a smoke? Dedicated smoker, grill or were you planning on buying something?

Basically you put a spice rub and cook it at a relatively low temperature. I think poultry is the most difficult to smoke because if you cook the bird until dark is done, the white meat is dry.

Back
Top Bottom