I need advice on cooking a duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi All, I tried the Alton Brown Method, it was fool proof. My wife and kid loved it and it was the first time they tried it. I never was able to get a recipe as good until I went to an Egyptian joint and they served roast duck which was fantastic! They parboiled it and roasted in the oven while basting with butter regularly.

Thanks Kalmen! I love duck. I've pan-fried the breasts and confit'd the legs many times before but have never roasted it myself whole. I'm going to check out AB's recipe. I like the term fool proof very much! And welcome to DC!

Thanks a lot! I feel welcome already... Actually, AB cuts the duck into four pieces for easy steaming... But I've tried boiling it whole and skimming the stuff that shows up at the surface and then roasting... That's really nice!

Actually, to give credit where credit is due, Alton Brown's method is far from original. Julia Child has been "steam-roasting" ducks & geese for many years - long before Alton came on the scene.

In fact, I use Julia's steam-roasting method every year for my Xmas goose (since the goose is too large/long for my little rotisserie) & it turns out absolutely terrific every time with very little effort.

And if you like duck, you should also like goose. Same wonderful dark meat, but with a slightly richer flavor.

Hmmm... You got me thinking goose :)
I'll definitely research more into what you mentioned... My ultimate goal, is to find the tastiest method of preparation...
I would agree with you that AB uses no original methods, and we'd need to credit the original initiators of the method...

You might be able to find Julia's steam-roasted goose (or duck) recipe online somewhere, but if not, it's in her book The Way To Cook, which I believe is still in print (I saw a copy at Border's Books just a couple of months ago).

This is a terrific cookbook to own - really good basic everyday stuff - nothing froufrou. My copy is virtually falling apart I've used it so often - lol!!! I can't recommend it highly enough.

(The recipe for "Roast Goose with Port Wine Gravy", which we've had every year for Xmas since the cookbook came out is reason enough to buy it. Talk about easy & delicious!!!!)

Alot of people think that the fat in a duck is contained only underneath the skin, but the meat itself is also very very fatty. There are two things you can do to make your duck experience more enjoyable. First of all, score the skin. I can't stress this enough. There are large amounts of pure fat sitting between the skin and flesh of the duck, and to effectively render it away and leave you with perfectly crispy skin, score the skin and saute your duck meat over low heat. The low heat also gradually heats the flesh of the duck and will rener the meat contained inside. A properly sauteed duck breast will shrink to about 1/3 of the size it was when raw, and will still be a delicious medium rare in the center.

Another great thing to do with duck if you want to confit it, is to first cure it overnight. This does 2 things. First, it introduces flavor. Second, it draws out moisture from the skin. Next cook the duck confit (in its own fat) until it is falling off the bone tender. At this point, most people think their work is done. However, this leaves you with a very fatty duck confit. I like to store the duck in its own fat (refrigerated, the fat will sort of gelatinize and is a great preservation method) until I am ready to cook it. Befor I serve it, I like to roast the duck confit, which renders off any excess fat as well as leaves the skin perfectly crisp ( remember the cure?!). It has been said that confit is perhaps the BEST way to enjoy duck. Just remember to follow these steps to make it as tasty as possible.

I LOVE duck!!! I buy the frozen ones, defrost and wash them nicely.
Cut it down the middle and flatten it
Mix, fresh chopped parsley, roughly chopped cloves of garlic and evoo, and rub it all over the duck, putting bits under the sking etc.
Leave it for a few hours/over night
Cook for approx-about an hour in the oven - turn it over half way - get rid of most of the 50 inches of oil it leaks. lol jokes
Roast some potatoes along with it.
mmmm duckkkk

Hi All,
I just tried something, that didn't work quite well. I brined the duck in sugar-salt water and added balsamic vinager. Over night, and then steamed and put in an iron skillet (AB method).
The thighs were great... but the breast meat almost tasted like liver (that strong flavor) which I had difficulty finishing.

I guess adding the Garlic with pineapple/orange juice brine was the best, it took away all those unwanted flavors... (speaking for myself)

I liked Rom's recipe, I'm going to try it... I need to get my hands on a recipie that I can make for people who are trying duck for the first time... so far, the closest I can use is the AB recipe but you can't present it nicely because the steam shrinks the meat and the bones show up.

I found another recipe on simply ming, where you can tea-smoke it for an hour and then roast for another hour and a half... That sounds interesting.

Since Duck is not very popular where I stay, only frozen is available (one american brand, and another german... ducklins... female...) I found a place that sell free range organic, but it was way too expensive... So I am sticking to frozen. So far, I've only used the German brand (becuase it's cheaper) and I am considering amercican next time.

Having said all of the above, I must say, even though I started eating duck this year for the first time in my life... I seem mysteriously attracted to it... and will continue looking for a set of recipes that I can use all the time...

Don't feel out of the loop because all you can get is frozen duck. That's pretty much all we get here in Virginia, USA, along with most of the rest of the U.S. Duck farms are getting few & far between because of the high level of pollution that raising ducks produces.

Since I was born & raised on Long Island - home of the famous Long Island Duck - I know a lot about the situation, having followed it long after leaving Long Island. Duck farms went from dozens to, I believe, just one or two today - & those just supply restaurants & certain high-end suppliers. Gone are the days of driving into a supermarket or butcher & picking up a Long Island Duck for a couple of bucks. So sad.

However, frozen duck doesn't equal sub-standard duck at all. The ducks I've purchased frozen that have come from the the midwest have all been delicious, & anyone interested in trying duck shouldn't shy away from them.

That brings me comfort... to know that frozen quality is as good... not the decline of farms. I never knew duck farms are polluting... In Japan they use ducks in oraganic rice farms... to eat insects, fertalize the land and they get eaten at the end...

Hey - frozen duck quality is EXCELLENT! And if you find it isn't, contact the producer & tell them what happened. I've only had to do this once, but was more than pleasantly surprised.

I had purchased a frozen duck for Easter dinner that, when it was thawed, deflated like a balloon or a duck that had been run over by a truck - lol!

I did roast it, although it was diffcult, but as an afterthought, pried the wrapping out of the trash & contacted the supplier via e-mail. They not only apologized, but sent me 2 certficates for 2 free ducks.

Can't beat that for customer service.

"Oh yes!!!! What temp do you roast it at?"

um my oven is a bit...how can i put this..."STUPID" i am renting and am using what I have...the temperature isn't very "acurate" unfortunately (so if someone says put it in the overn at 180..i putit in the oven at 300 LOL), but i normally roast it real high for half an hourish (maybe bit less), then lower it

kalmen...my dad would swear by garlic and parsley on his duck and i doubt he would eat it any other way :)

my bf first tried it like this as he never had it before and he loved it too.

We get Frozen ducklings @ our supermarkets "Coles" or "Woolworths" and my mum order free range stuff and gets fresh duck if she wants.

I should come and taste test your duck..if its good i mean not good i will eat it all and you can make 'me..cough..cough i mean you can cook another duck for your first timers LOLLLLL jokes

duck is YUMMYYYY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom