ISO Chopped Chicken Liver Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi.
I am looking for a really great chopped chicken liver pate or salad what ever you want to call it. I have read plenty of them but I am looking for something a little different or some little ingredient added that makes a difference or makes it special.:chef:

Thanks
mrsag
This is a quick chicken liver pate based very, very loosely on an old recipe of Elizabeth David and it doesn't have a silly ratio of butter to livers.

I prefer it as a smooth pate and for spreading on good bread or hot toast but you can process it for less time so it's coarser. It was very popular when I used to make pates and terrines for local pubs and restaurants.
1lb chicken livers
butter for sautéing

small glass each of sherry and brandy (or just sherry)
salt and black pepper
2 extra ounces butter
clove of garlic
pinch of mixed spice (the mix you'd use in fruit cake - dunno know what it's called in North America)
Pinch of powdered herbs (eg thyme, rosemary NOT sage!)

Clean livers well, making sure you remove even the slightest bit of yellowish/greenish staining as this will make the pate bitter and rinse them and pat dry on kitchen paper. Saute them in butter until they are cooked but still pink inside.

Put the livers into the processor. Add the alcohol to the frying pan/skillet and bring to boil to collect the debris out from the bottom of the pan. Pour the liquid into the processor, add the rest of the ingredients and process until they reach the consistency you like. Put into a small ceramic container and refrigerate until required. If keeping overnight or longer cover with 1/2 an inch of melted butter to seal the surface.

If you don't have a processor you can mash the livers with a fork.

You can use any poultry livers - duck, turkey, goose. It's easy to scale up or down according to your requirements.

Last edited:
chicken livers alla caruso looks positively scrumptious! ty, aunt bea. only, it seems the liver is cooking for nearly 1/2 hour, total, in that vid. do i want to be doing that? i've always thought chicken livers should be barely cooked through.

I saute them for a few minutes, then add them to the finished sauce so that they reheat, still a little pink in the center.

I never follow the directions, I just go for the concept and then do my own thing! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

chicken liver recipes

This is an Italian recipe I learned 40 years ago!

Crostini with chicken livers

Ciabatta bread cut into thick slices - about 1cm+, lightly fried untio just crisp in butter.

500gr. chicken livers
100gr pig's liver (optional)
fresh chicken stock
1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
a sprinkling of flour
3 anchovy fillets
1 - 2 teaspoons chopped capers
lemon juice to taste
buter and olive oil
a grind of black pepper

Put the butter and oil into a skillet and cook the chicken livers whole until pink in the middle. Remove from the pan and chope them fine. Return to the pan. Add a little flour to bind and a bit of stock at a time, just enough to bind the mixture not too thickly. Add the anchovies and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Lastly, just before making up the crostini, add the fresh chopped parsley and chopped capers. Eat while still hot.
Buon appetito!

ciao di reston

The secret to the best chopped liver is a carrot. When you cook liver you have to cook it with couple of small carrots.

I never measure, but let's see:

2-3 chicken livers
2-3 baby carrots
1 small onion finely (very important) diced
1-2 hard boiled egg
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil for frying

Liver cooks fairly fast, so I would probably start with carrots cooking in the pot. When carrots are starting to get soft add cleaned, well rinsed liver. Cook till just done and no blood is visible. Do not overcook. While it is cooking fry onions in a liberal amount of fat of your choosing. Season to taste, fry until golden brown. Also make hard boiled eggs. When liver is ready, I prefer meat grinder, but food processor will also work. Put everythings thru meat grinder or food processor, unless you truly want chopped liver, then take two small cleavers and chop it up.When using food processor make sure to pulse it and do not let it turn into paste. The mixture should have some texture to it. Season to taste with salt and pepper if you like (personally I do not add pepper).
If it is too dry add one more carrot, if it is too wet, add one more egg.

Last edited:
The secret to the best chopped liver is a carrot. When you cook liver you have to cook it with couple of small carrots.

I never measure, but let's see:

2-3 chicken livers
2-3 baby carrots
1 small onion finely (very important) diced
1-2 hard boiled egg
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil for frying

Liver cooks fairly fast, so I would probably start with carrots cooking in the pot. When carrots are starting to get soft add cleaned, well rinsed liver. Cook till just done and no blood is visible. Do not overcook. While it is cooking fry onions in a liberal amount of fat of your choosing. Season to taste, fry until golden brown. Also make hard boiled eggs. When liver is ready, I prefer meat grinder, but food processor will also work. Put everythings thru meat grinder or food processor, unless you truly want chopped liver, then take two small cleavers and chop it up.When using food processor make sure to pulse it and do not let it turn into paste. The mixture should have some texture to it. Season to taste with salt and pepper if you like (personally I do not add pepper).
If it is too dry add one more carrot, if it is too wet, add one more egg.

Thanks Charlie!

This recipe is just the right size for me!

I think I will give it a try using the liver from the Thanksgiving turkey.

My Mom's recipe would be poached or sauted chicken liver, hard boiled eggs, sweated onions, mayo and ritz crackers. She would mash it up with a tater masher. Came out great, I need to make more. Organ meat is supposed to be super healthy in small doses, or something. Whatever, it's tasty!

Back
Top Bottom