ISO Ground Turkey Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmsMommy7

Assistant Cook
What else can I do with it? Other than meatloaf, meatballs and tacos?

First off, use the search function on this site for "ground turkey". There was a thread on this exact same topic just a couple of weeks ago.

Other than that, you can use ground turkey in any & every recipe calling for any other ground meat (beef, pork, veal, lamb, etc.).

Two word searches just don’t seem to work here. Searching on ground turkey can turn up ground black pepper as well as Turkey Pot Pie.

I did find a recent thread on ground turkey, but there isn’t much to it.

Here's the link to the very recent thread on ground turkey. Came up right away. Not that there's any real difference in the answers. The bottom line still is that you can do anything with ground turkey that you'd do with any other ground meat. I don't think the OP expects us to list every recipe on the planet that uses ground meat, does she? :LOL:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f15/ground-turkey-37068.html

I was just looking for some new ideas/recipes that maybe someone had and liked. I'm new and was looking to start some conversations with some of the seemingly nice and fun people around here!
:huh:

Hey, Nancy. You just got flooded with some turkeys. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, ground turkey is great to have on hand. Sometimes I'll mix a little with my meatloaf mixture to stretch the ground beef and reduce the fat content.

You could also brown it up with some onions and garlic, mix it with some pasta sauce and use it for a "mock" lasagna.

Ground turkey is as versatile as ground beef and less expensive per pound...and healthier. What's not to like?! Yeah!

Exactly, Katie. I have a little baby boy with some serious food allergies. :( We're doing okay... but he LOVES meat! I am trying to always have chicken, turkey, ham steaks, things to make for him. Of course my 4 year old daughter won't touch meat.... HA! Anyway, I try to stay away from too much beef, so I keep a pack of ground turkey around. He likes it just sauteed in the pan with some s&p, garlic powder, onion salt.. .just plain. I have also let him have it in tomato/marinara sauce.. (on bath nights only!) So tonight, I did a little up for him and did the rest with some taco seasoning (which I have a great recipe for if anyone is interested.. to avoid the packets with all the junk in them,) and had the soft tacos in a whole wheat wrap for us. Sooooo... I saw this neat thread about what ingredients you had, what would you do, and I thought it would be neat to get some ideas for simple ground turkey things my little boy could have. And yes... I know that ground turkey can be substituted for other ground meats... um yeah. THANKS! :ROFLMAO:

Hey my mom used to make stuffed peppers.. hated them!! Wonder if I would like them now, now that I'm older? That's the pepper with ground meat/rice mixture in the center, huh? Maybe I'll try them.

Chili!!! Forgot an obvious one, thanks Unc. Bob!

We are big fans of turkey burgers, and I use a George Foreman-like grill to grill them--you can put whatever you like in them, but all I use is a little Liquid Smoke. I think they are very yummy.

I'm another big fan of ground turkey. For health reasons we try to limit our red meat. I use ground turkey for all the uses mentioned. I also use it in place of fatty sausage. Just mix some seasonings into the turkey.

Turkey Tetrazzin, Turkey Pot Pie, & Shepherd's Pie (w mashed sweet potatoes & veggies), came to mind. You could sneak some more veggies into the mix. You mentioned you didn't want a loaf or balls, but the loaf mixture can be turned into burgers, or whatever you like.

Spinach Mozzarella Stuffed Loaf

1 1/4 pounds ground turkey breast
1 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 egg whites
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cubed

Mix the two below together, brush over your loaf & bake as you would a meatloaf:
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

RR has a good recipe for Giant turkey balls, if you would like to give it a try. The ingreds are similar to the above:

Super-Size Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Cheese

Here is an idea for the tetrazzini:
Turkey Tetrazzini

Last edited:
Two word searches just don’t seem to work here. Searching on ground turkey can turn up ground black pepper as well as Turkey Pot Pie.

That's true, but you can use Google to do more specific searches on a specific site. For example, put this in the Google search box:

site:discusscooking.com "ground turkey"

The results will all include the phrase "ground turkey" on the DiscussCooking site.

That's true, but you can use Google to do more specific searches on a specific site. For example, put this in the Google search box:

site:discusscooking.com "ground turkey"

The results will all include the phrase "ground turkey" on the DiscussCooking site.

Neat trick! Thanks for that!

I'm happy to hear about that trick, too, Garlic. I don't have much luck using the search engine here.

Mommy, I wouldn't worry about your little girl not eating meat. Her tastes will change as she gets older. Just make sure she gets other forms of protein, and give her vitamins.
As for ground turkey, you can use it for anything you'd use hamburger for.

Here's a dish you might try out on your kids. I use ground beef and Italian sausage, but you can use turkey instead.
Cook the turkey in microwave or skillet until all the red is out of the meat. In the meantime, cook elbow macaroni or your favorite pasta. Combine all with jarred spaghetti sauce...it takes 2 jars for a lb. of meat and a lb of pasta.
Add a can of whole kernal corn and another of diced tomatoes, juice and all. If you family likes mushrooms or slice olives, add those too. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
Spoon into a baking dish, cover with 1/4" slices of Velveeta cheese, and cook in 350 oven or microwave until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.

The Velveeta cheese really makes this dish, so don't be tempted to use some fancier type. Everyone loves this...you might even get your daughter to try a bite.

I call this dish "More", because everyone always asks for more.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to help with the search function. When you use it, always use the Advanced Search function, and then limit your search to either titles or to posts featuring your words. The other good trick is to limit the search to a particular area.

For example:

Advanced Search + Ground turkey + Entire Posts + Chicken and Turkey forum only

led me to a jillion threads with lots and lots of info. I actually think I might need to go back and read some more as there are great ideas there. I took a peek at the ground chicken one too and it was great.

Thanks for the tip on Google there Garlic, thats a good one!

Welcome aboard EmsMommy7, I am glad to see you found us and are jumping right in. For my part, my favorite ground turkey recipe is sweet and sour meatballs. I'm not a big fan of turkey with tomato sauce. Have you tried turkey enchiladas, fajitas and that sort of stuff? If he likes wraps, well you can be pretty versatile with the turkey bits. I actually get a recipe every month from Alberta Turkey producers, I'll start posting them here too. I just didn't think most folks liked turkey as much as I do!

Hey, I'll take that taco seasoning recipe!

You might say I'd GOBBLE it UP!

ark ark ark hahaha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom