ISO help/comments preparing fresh turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paddfoot

Assistant Cook
my first time with a "fresh" turkey, im planning a brine and some other cool ideas you folks have but is there any real differences, also, should i keep it in the fridge or freezer till wed.
:question:

Not sure when the turkey was killed, but I would hesitate to freeze a fresh turkey...wouldn't that defeat the purpose of buying a fresh turkey?

I brine my turkey on Tuesday morning for Thursday. I make the brine from three gallons of apple cider, 3 cups of kosher salt, and spices and herbs. That stays in the refrigerator/brine till Wednesday night, last thing done in the kitchen. Remove it, rinse it and place it into the prepared pan. Don't stuff it at this time. Just put it back in the refrigerator till half an hour before you are ready to roast it. Then you can stuff it, cover it, add a bit of liquid of choice to the bottom of the pan and away you go.

My turkey is usually in the 20# vicinity, this year no different. I use Bell's seasoning, kosher salt, granulated garlic, black pepper, thyme, sage, parsley and oregano. The cider gives wonderful colour and subtle flavour.

Back
Top Bottom