ISO tnt southern fried chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie E said:
I've never found any method that did an effective job without being inconvenient during the frying process.

We have a splatter guard thingie we never remember to use. And a bacon press that HH used a couple of weeks ago that is still sitting next to the stove - uncleaned - that I refuse to clean for him.

I use a deep pot...and keep a lid on to hold down spatter. No matter what you do you gotta cleana da stova.
However sometimes I fry it outside on the patio using a fish cooker. That is the only method I have found that does not spatter the stove....

A good tight-fitting lid helps, but leave the lid cracked a little for the steam to escape, or else you could end up with a soggy crust on the chicken.

Also, a splatterproof screen cover helps.

But like Katie E says, just suck it up and do some cleaning.

For freasly-splattered grease, Dawn helps. If the grease has hardened to the point where it became sticky, yucky all over the stove and just won't come off, then Greased Lightening will get it off.

But I usually clean up right after the frying.

I also own a wide pot, which helps to reduce grease splatter, as well as an electric deep fryer.

Last edited:
That's one of the great things about the electric skillet...you can put the cover on ker-slaunch-wise, and it still gets enough air to get crisp without splattering grease all over.
Another benefit is that there is enough room to spread the chicken out, so each piece cooks separately. I have one that is large enough to hold the whole chicken...the prime 8 pieces + 2 backs, the liver and giblets. Two inches of grease does the job.

I have eaten some WONDERFUL chicken that was fried in an iron skillet, but...and trust me about this...the chicken you cook in an electric skillet is less greasy, because you can keep the grease a constant 375 degrees.

I don't care for deep-fried chicken. I find it dry and hard.

*Note: When it gets right down to it, by the time you do the breading and frying, you may as well plan on a mess. It's kinda like chicken and dumplings...you're gonna get flour on your belly. My best advice is to clean up as you go along.

Last edited:
I own a 13" Rival, but you know what? I've never used it more than once or twice.

So maybe the next time I fry some chicken, I'll use it. I don't eat it that often for health reasons. Usually only once every six months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom