ISO Turkey raised pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
Help!
Usually we make a big raised pork pie for lunch / snacks during the Christmas holiday but this year our daughter-in-law cannot eat pork for medical reasons. So, I thought I would make a raised turkey pie with a cranberry topping. So far, no problem BUT has anyone any ideas for adding other ingredient(s) to make it a bit more interesting. I was thinking of adding a few kumquats for a change or little stuffing balls. What do YOU think please?;)

How about some minced red and green pepper, for a spark of color.

A small dice of turnips, carrots, celery, onion and a good big pinch of sage or poultry seasoning would be nice.

Dried cranberries added to the basic filling would also be nice.

A simple Cumberland sauce to spoon over each portion might be nice. It can be made ahead of time and warmed in the microwave or over a sauce pan of simmering water.

For me the hard part would be limiting my choices and the amount of the additions, a little goes along way!

Thank you Aunt Bea,
Great suggestions,
I'm going with the green and red peppers with a cranberry topping.
By the way, your reply did not come through to my emails. In fact it's stopped altogether. I think one or two others have had the same problem? Can anyone help please?

Raised pies are made with hot water crust pastry. It would probably be easier for you to Google this than me try to explain as there are many variations. Game pie, pork pie,chicken and ham etc.. It is not difficult, just different from other pastry in that you need to work it quickly and mold it into a cake tin or pie mold. They stand about 4-5" tall, hence 'raised'. Make them your friends as they are wonderful at any time of year as you can make them in advance as you cut them cold. in slices.They will happily keep a week in the fridge and you can freeze them if necessary. Great for picnics, family gatherings, Christmas buffets, parties............fantastic. In fact a friend of mine has made one for tonight for a social gathering that we are going to. A game pie with venison, chicken and ham. They are quite big and an average one would serve 10-14 people easily.

Back
Top Bottom