Jazzing up rotisserie chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet chili sauce

34001.jpg

I like the Rooster's chili paste, too. But it's too spicy and salty right out of the jar. The plumb sauce sounds good.

We get Costco's rotisserie chicken a lot. Because there's only two of us to eat it we have to divide it up and freeze parts after the first night.

What we do is freeze thigh/legs/breasts and everything else is boned/picked and put in a bag called 'orts'. Those are great for dishes like creamed broccoli and some orts of chicken and baked with Parm. cheese on top.

Chicken salad?
Salad with chicken orts on it?
Stir fry with orts?

Your imagination is all it takes.

I like this product mixed with plumb sauce for chicken or chicken fingers, or other type of fried things like egg rolls, etc...I am a bit anal about how it should be applied. I like to put a puddle of plumb sauce and then add a dollop of sambal olek in the middle. Never actually mix to incorporate the two totally. This way, when you dip and drag, you get the full effect of the sweet/salty/hot contrast becasue they are all hitting your taste buds in their most natural form...weird, I know....:wacko:

That's not weird, I totally get that. Like the contrast between cheese and fruit, or hot apple pie with cold ice cream.

Doesn't the texture get funny when you freeze rotisserie chicken?

Freezing it would simplify my life.

I find that Costco's chicken freezes beautifully. I do find that freezing other already cooked chicken doesn't do as well. Maybe Costco has something in it that makes that possible---- maybe even something you don't want to know about. :) But I chose to ignore that and eat it anyway.

Here are some responses from ordinary people about that----- maybe one or more is right. I'm still going to eat them! :pig: And since my orts are usually used in another dish----- well.........

What does Costco do to their cooked chickens to make them taste so good? - Chains - Chowhound

I find that Costco's chicken freezes beautifully. I do find that freezing other already cooked chicken doesn't do as well. Maybe Costco has something in it that makes that possible---- maybe even something you don't want to know about. :) But I chose to ignore that and eat it anyway.

Here are some responses from ordinary people about that----- maybe one or more is right. I'm still going to eat them! :pig: And since my orts are usually used in another dish----- well.........

What does Costco do to their cooked chickens to make them taste so good? - Chains - Chowhound
So, the consensus seems to be that they are injected with salt water. That would probably account for the juiciness and the ability to freeze without destroying the texture. Yeah, I know there is stuff in them that I would rather they didn't put, but I don't eat them that often and I'm really picky about just about everything else, so I don't get that much. I'm a label reader. Up until a few years ago the ingredients were chicken, salt, and maybe citric acid. They were no less good then.

I'll give freezing some a try.

We get Costco's rotisserie chicken a lot. Because there's only two of us to eat it we have to divide it up and freeze parts after the first night.

What we do is freeze thigh/legs/breasts and everything else is boned/picked and put in a bag called 'orts'. Those are great for dishes like creamed broccoli and some orts of chicken and baked with Parm. cheese on top.

Chicken salad?
Salad with chicken orts on it?
Stir fry with orts?

Your imagination is all it takes.

Does your Costco sell the meat in vacuum packages? Ours does.
The chickens that are not sold, are stripped from the bone and vacuum packed. Breast meat.
They also package the leg quarters with bone.

So if you just want meat, you can't get more fresh unless you cooked it yourself.

So, the consensus seems to be that they are injected with salt water. That would probably account for the juiciness and the ability to freeze without destroying the texture. Yeah, I know there is stuff in them that I would rather they didn't put, but I don't eat them that often and I'm really picky about just about everything else, so I don't get that much. I'm a label reader. Up until a few years ago the ingredients were chicken, salt, and maybe citric acid. They were no less good then.

I'll give freezing some a try.

In another thread we had a member discussing this very thing. My remarks were that if the manufacturers were to discontinue the injection process, their product would suffer.
This kinda enforces that view IMO.

The chickens that are not sold, are stripped from the bone and vacuum packed. Breast meat.
So if you just want meat, you can't get more fresh unless you cooked it yourself.

I haven't checked, but I will. But there's a bit of the carnivore in me that enjoys tearing a leg and thigh off the whole chicken myself. :LOL:

In another thread we had a member discussing this very thing. My remarks were that if the manufacturers were to discontinue the injection process, their product would suffer.
I still want to buy raw meat that hasn't been injected or seasoned. It's a whole different thing when they are selling me a fully cooked chicken.

I haven't checked, but I will. But there's a bit of the carnivore in me that enjoys tearing a leg and thigh off the whole chicken myself. :LOL:
Oh yeah, tearing it off the chicken is part of the enjoyment for me. I like gnawing on bones too.

Oh yeah, tearing it off the chicken is part of the enjoyment for me. I like gnawing on bones too.

I have yet to buy any vacuum packed white meat. But it is there in case I need some. Chicken salad comes to mind.
The leg quarters are still on the bone and I have bought them for soup.
You get 8 leg quarters for $4.99. 16 total pieces. Same price as the whole rotisserie chicken.

I always use a knife to separate parts.......:LOL:

But you pay for the chicken by weight so you're paying through the nose for the salt water. Costco, etc., aren't doing this to give you juicy chicken. They're doing it for their profits. If they used better quality chickens which didn't need injections of salt water they wouldn't make as much money.

Over here manufacturers have to declare on the label if they have injected they birds with water. It's mostly the cheap, 3 for £10 birds that are treated thus and most of us are too clued-up to fall for the con.

Last edited:
When it's hot, we just dig into it like any other roasted chicken, like we'll do tonight with a veg and some spuds. I just got one at Costco today. I love the leftovers for a multitude of one dish wonders that take some time, like http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/italian-flag-casserole-77300.html

I was happy to find a new item at Costco today...a two pound package of beautiful boneless skinless breast meat from their rotisserie chickens. I'll freeze it in two cup portions and have it when ever the mood strikes.

My feuding supermarket always puts out the day old rotisserie chicken parts (breasts, legs, thighs, wings) at a reduced price. Great for chicken salad sandwiches and other good ideas. I use the artisan bread with it. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom