Korean Chicken Wings Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you cooked Asian recipes with dry sherry before? Because the "sherry" flavor, when mixed with the other ingredients, doesn't really shine thru as "sherry".

The reason most Asian recipes call for dry sherry is due to the fact that it's very similar to the most common Asian wines used in cooking. In fact, even Sake has a sherry-like taste to it. And 1/4 cup isn't very much. I use it constantly in Asian cooking, & have never detected a "sherry" taste in the dishes - just a certain "depth" to the sauce. Sherry can stand up to the soy, honey, chili garlic sauce, etc. Other wines simply disappear completely. You might want to try it with the sherry just once. I really doubt you'll actually taste "sherry".

But if you're adamant about not using dry sherry, I'd just substitute whatever dry white wine suits you, but I can guarantee that it won't be the same.

That recipe sounds good. Personally I never go overboard with the sherry, just enough for a bit of a kick.

If you don't have/like sherry, Ill second using a bit of Sake. For me, the wine I enjoy and typically use for many recipes is Marsala, its a very diverse cooking wine.

Last edited:
I don't like to drink sherry but I do like to cook with it - it gives Asian/Chinese food that familiar flavor. Marsala might be another good choice - but like the others have said - the Sherry will not shine through tasting like sherry - or even Port possibly, and even Vermouth is a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom