Leftover Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Since I already made my turkey (couldn't wait), I'm making the first of my planned leftover dishes.

1 C wild rice (Lundberg's)
2 C giblet stock (salted)
Giblet meat from stock
1 turkey thigh, stripped and chopped
1/4 package frozen mixed vegetables
1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning

Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Let stand off the burner, covered another 10 minutes.:chef:

Sounds good. I made a wild one a number of years ago, and realized why man domesticated the turkey. It was dry and tough. If I were to do it again I'd not use my normal years-old methods. More fat, more moisture. But I have to say it made great leftovers for soups, stews, most importantly cassoulet. If I do it again, I'll approach it differently.

When I saw the subject line, I thought you had made a wild turkey! I keep trying to hit one on the road <g>. Being that I grew up eating wild rice instead of potatoes, I do feel that I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to wild rice. I also have gone out and harvested it. I would suggest that you do 3:1 re: wild rice to brown or white rice, add some barley and lentils. It makes for a very nice blend. Wash the wild rice (if it is natural, not cultivated--cultivated doesn't pop--I still wash it, but I give that to friends, because I only use natural, not cultivated wild rice). Real wild rice "curls" when it pops and it takes 55 minutes (or more) after the water comes to a boil and you put the rice in and reduce the heat to low and cover it, cultivated doesn't pop at all--I've tried to get it to pop, I've never been successful and no longer try. Perhaps cultivated is prettier, but it isn't real wild rice. I've probably have cooked at least 200 lb of wild rice in my lifetime. You can also roast the wild rice in the oven before boiling it. I'm ducking arrows from those who will disagree with me!

Last edited:
The Lundberg's wild rice is a blend of several brown rices as well as the wild. Unfortunately, although the rice came out just right, the cheap turkey I bought didn't.

Next year I'll buy a Butterball turkey and d**m the price.

I'm changing the title. I thought of a play on Wild Turkey whiskey, but realized later, it would sound like wild turkey the bird.

Ah--got it! Didn't recognize Lundberg's brand and didn't realize it was a blend. Is the wild rice in the Lundberg's blend cultivated (in other words, dark, dark brown and it doesn't pop when cooked)?

Yes, very dark and doesn't pop.
Ah, that's cultivated wild rice. It doesn't have the same texture (or taste, IMO) when cooked. Did you cook the rest of the turkey or did you just buy the thighs? I often cook "utility" turkeys (I hate turkeys that have stuff added). I've never had one that was tough...odd.

I cooked a whole turkey, 13.7#. This morning, I took the other thigh and boiled in water with a couple of celery stalks and salt. I stripped the meat and cut into a fine dice. It seems like it will be much more tender. I got another 3 cup container of broth, plus a 2 cup container with broth and the meat. I just put it in the fridge. I've got to make some more room in the freezer.

The breast meat made a great turkey sandwich, so I probably won't have a problem with the white meat. I took a portion out to thaw and make a turkey salad with some of the tender inner celery.

I bought an extra loaf of bread and another celery package and made 2 batches of sausage stuffing in my little casserole dish. That came out heavenly and the house smells like Thanksgiving.

I changed the title again to Leftover Turkey, so others can post their leftovers ideas. I've got a lot of turkey so I'll see if I can glean a few new ideas.

Last edited:
Because we roast a turkey about once a month between October and April, I often have leftover turkey. I loved the Spicy Turkey Stew recipe posted not long ago (although I modified the recipe, and the 2nd time I made it, I changed it into a turkey chili mole). White chili is another favorite thing to do with leftover turkey. When I have leftover turkey and leftover gravy, I do fall victim to giving into my craving for turkey poutine...turkey casserole with the "bow tie" pasta is another favorite--mushrooms, leftover gravy, sour cream, evap milk, grated white cheddar cheese, edamene, and celery, and of course, leftover turkey. Cream of Turkey dinner soup where you add leftover stuffing (well, I do, but I make wildrice stuffing), some leftover cranberry sauce, turkey, leftover gravy, broth, leftover mashed potatoes, milk or cream. It is inspried by a Company's Coming recipe--from the Soup cookbook. Turkey and rice "muffins" which are really just rice and turkey, some melted butter, cooked for about 20 minutes in a muffin tin. Topped with leftover gravy. Basically, anything one would do with leftover chicken is what I do with leftover turkey. I'm sure others have some very creative ideas. I'll be watching for ideas as well, since turkey is on the menu for this weekend (our November turkey...) and will be on the agenda every month from now until sometime in April. We stock up on turkeys when they are cheap. We have to have turkey this weekend because we underestimated freezer space.

Is this thread about uses for leftover turkey?

Last year I took my leftovers and made a casserole layering the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. It had cheese on top and may have had a "cream of" soup for moisture in the layers. I can't remember what it was called right now, but you've got the gist of it. You could pretty much wing it.

Last year I made a shepherd's pie type of dish with the LO turkey and veggies, using gravy as the liquid and topped it with stuffing in place of the mashed potatoes.

I guess it was good, I saved the recipe.

Is this thread about uses for leftover turkey?

Last year I took my leftovers and made a casserole layering the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. It had cheese on top and may have had a "cream of" soup for moisture in the layers. I can't remember what it was called right now, but you've got the gist of it. You could pretty much wing it.

Thanks for the reminder, Pac. I've done that before and it was wonderful, but had forgotten about it. I called it a shephard's pie, even though I made it in a loaf pan. I found a cream of potato soup I'm hankering to try. It would work well with this.

Actually it's more of a turkey dinner strata.

Last edited:
Oh--pac that sounds yummy. I think I'll have to make extra gravy and use that between the layers...

I might have used gravy... I can't remember, it had something as a sort of binder. I've got it printed out somewhere. I remember now it was called Tastes Like Thanksgiving.

I ate up all my turkey drippings gravy with the first batch of stuffing, so now I'm going to try to make a bigger batch using the giblet stock. I must be geared to cooking on Thanksgiving, because all I've done today is cook.

Next, is Rice Krispy Treats.

I might have used gravy... I can't remember, it had something as a sort of binder. I've got it printed out somewhere. I remember now it was called Tastes Like Thanksgiving.

Because of your reminder, I finally remembered all the layers I used: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing on top, served with more gravy.

I like your recipe title better.

Back
Top Bottom