Lemon / Garlic Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweedee

Head Chef
1 thawed turkey
1/2 pound butter
6 medium lemons
3 to 4 bulbs of garlic

Place rinced bird (with parts removed) in roasting pan, quarter the sticks of butter, cut the lemons in half or quarters. Seperate the garlic into cloves, peel and slightly crush each clove, stuff the bird belly and neck cavity with lemons, garlic and butter. (cut several small slits into the skin of the turkey to put some garlic cloves in.) Save 2 lemon halves and squeeze them over the bird, tucking the squeezed fruit under the wings. Cover and bake as usual. Baste the bird with the drippings from the pan. drippings also make good gravy.

NEAT!

I've stuffed it solid with garlic before and enjoyed the terrific results, but adding lemon with give you an acidic tenderiser...

I'd be tempted to use olive oil, rather than butter, but that's my chloresteral issues coming to the surface...

The garlic bud insertion works incredibly well with beef, pork and lamb...why not poultry?

If you want something different try pouring a cup of dry sherry in the cavity with an apple/onion/garlic mixture. Man, that makes the best gravy!!!! I get too many complaints from the "little mouth" that it's not traditional - but he's growing up (and sneaking a few beers) so he might be more apt to like it now. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom