Let's Talk Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am liking this idea. However, wife is Jewish so we don't use pig bacon, somehow putting turkey bacon into a turkey, while it seems to make sense, seems weird or counter-intuitive? Sticking turkey bacon into a turkey?

TBS

If you have access, use beef fat, or tallow, chicken fat, or lamb fat. The chicken fat would work wonderfully well.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I am liking this idea. However, wife is Jewish so we don't use pig bacon, somehow putting turkey bacon into a turkey, while it seems to make sense, seems weird or counter-intuitive? Sticking turkey bacon into a turkey?

TBS

Turbacon?

If you have access, use beef fat, or tallow, chicken fat, or lamb fat. The chicken fat would work wonderfully well.

Oh yes, I think you will like this one Chief. I am cooking a duck next week, specifically to harvest the fat, so I have duck fat, for the gosh darn turkey, for injecting and basting.

Duck or Goose fat is the best fat.

TBS

I have turkey fryer, but every time I plan on making one, it is always called and windy. Called is not that big f a deal but wind kills cooking. Seriously thinking of cleaning the garage and do it in the garage. Scary.

If you had your choice of turkeys...

Would you chose a Tom?

or a hen?

img_1486959_0_b29c7bf8c4ef3e2d07e4508775fefaf7.jpg

discuss!

Rather than buying one big tom, I always bought two hens. I have always found the hens to have more moisture. And more often than not, if I didn't tell them I have another turkey all cooked in the kitchen, they cleaned up with the first one. That left the second one for slices for sandwiches, two carcasses.

Hmnn... That was some good advice. What do you think of Duck Fat?

I decided on Tuesday to cook a duck, just to harvest the fat, well also had a nice dinner party where we ate the rest of the duck. Nice suprise for some of my cooworkers, who got invited over for Duck Dinner.

https://goo.gl/photos/jVZZAJLNbMo663NH8

I decided on Tuesday to cook a duck, just to harvest the fat, well also had a nice dinner party where we ate the rest of the duck. Nice suprise for some of my cooworkers, who got invited over for Duck Dinner.

Duck fat adds a nice, delicate flavor, and helps keep things moist. If using, I would add a bit of smokey goodness to the fat with liquid smoke, maybe mesquite flavor, and use a few herbs such as sage and time to infuse flavor into the oil And don't be too heavy as it can make the flesh greasy instead of moist.

Duck fat adds a nice, delicate flavor, and helps keep things moist. If using, I would add a bit of smokey goodness to the fat with liquid smoke,

I actually smoked the duck, well a bit.

Chief I know you have your ways,

We have a oven, and a range.

So if you want to smoke a bit, or use a duck, here is how you do it.

You need a pan at the bottom of your oven to capture fat.

I actually smoked the duck, well a bit.

Chief I know you have your ways,

We have a oven, and a range.

So if you want to smoke a bit, or use a duck, here is how you do it.

You need a pan at the bottom of your oven to capture fat.

I'd through it on the Webber kettle between two banks of charcoal, with apple wood on top to protect the duck from the direct heat, and to create the smoke. There would be a drip pan directly under the duck, and between the charcoal beds to catch all drippings. Since there would be water in that pan as well as the fat, the drippings would be poured into a pan and placed into the fridge to let the fat solidify. The fat would then be removed, leaving nice duck broth aspic to use for other purposes. REheat the fat and use in whatever manner you wish.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ah yeah, you have one of those back yards I hear tell about.

I'd kill for a weber egg or even enough space that I could dig a fire pit.

We are the apartment that sets off the fire alarm. Just cooking. Apartment living sucks kind of. Our smoke hood is kind of a filter thing that goes right back into the apartment.

Asian tea-smoked duck is really good. We did that a while back with some kind of expensive black tea (had to go to Whole Paycheck to get it), star anise, cinnamon and various other spices. Hmm, I'll have to see if I can find that recipe again, even a chicken would be good smoked that way.

We are hopefully getting a fresh, never frozen Amish turkey. Finally got our meal planned.

We are hopefully getting a fresh, never frozen Amish turkey. Finally got our meal planned.

You in PA?

We are getting a fresh, never frozen turkey, visited it this weekend, still running about, no idea about its eventual fate.

First time I have done a fresh bird, I'm cautiously optimistic on the idea. I think my technique and plan are both good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You in PA?

We are getting a fresh, never frozen turkey, visited it this weekend, still running about, no idea about its eventual fate.

First time I have done a fresh bird, I'm cautiously optimistic on the idea. I think my technique and plan are both good.

No, if you notice my location is Florida. We have access to a large butcher shop that has grass fed beef regularly, fresh turkeys, rabbit and a few other exotic meats.

Pirate would like you to mail that jar of duck fat to him so he can make some home fried potatoes.

I know they sell chicken fat. But do they sell duck fat, even on line?

Back
Top Bottom