Light Poached Chicken Salad Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quadlex

Cook
I'm trying to loose weight through the judicious application of eating bu&%er all that's got fat added, and filling up on protein. One of my favourite meals that I've come up with so far has been this one.

• 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 x 400g tin of Chickpeas
  • 1 x large carrot
  • 1 x Spanish (Red) Onion
  • 1 x stalk of Spring Onion (Long, Green, crisp, cylindrical)
  • 2 x good handfuls of Rocket
  • 1 x punnet Cherry Tomatos
  • 1 x tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
  • 1/3 cup light savoury yoghort (Or sour cream)

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Whilst waiting, wash the carrot and dice. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add, with the carrot and chicken, to the boiling water. Bring back to a simmer and simmer with the lid on for 5 -- 10 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts (Smaller = 5 minutes).

Meanwhile, wash the Spring Onion and cut into 1cm long rounds, from tail to tip, discarding only the ends. Dice the Spanish onion, and wash and drain the Rocket and tomatos.

Once the simmer time is up, remove the saucepan from the heat and leave until 20 minutes have passed since the chicken went on. Pour the lot into a colander and leave for 10 minutes. Dice the chicken into 2cm chunks.

Dump everything into a salad bowl with the Yoghourt and Mustard, and mix to combine... I use my hands because it's easier.

That's pretty much it. I also sometimes add blanched sliced snow peas, and a spoon of seeded mustard for texture. You should, of course, adjust the dressing for lightness and optimum mustardity. I like it heated, with not much dressing at all.

All measurements are approximate because I tend to make it late at night for lunch the next day ^_^

This sounds good (except the Dijon mustard, which I would have to change to another mustard). I'm not sure what a punnet is, but I'm sure I can wing it on that one. :cool: Thanks for sharing.

:)Barbara

A punnet is a small plastic box, roughly spherical, and about 10cm on each side. It's how cherry tomatos usually come in Australian supermarkets.

Thanks, that is what I figured. It sounds about the same size as the square plastic baskets we get them in here.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom