Lots of garlic and a whole chicken, ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat

Assistant Cook
okay, i have a whole chicken that i want to roast and 5 heads of garlic (note to self, when sending roommate to get garlic, specify amount :LOL: ). i made a 40 clove roasted chicken once, but it turned out very oily and greasy, the bf didn't like it much. does anyone have their own recipe that's TNT? or anything else to make with it? thanks.

Hey, Kat, you can do what I do sometimes. Roast the head of garlic first so that you have lots of soft, sweet garlic. Squeeze the softened cloves into a bowl and mash until you have a paste-like goo.

Then reach under the skin of the chicken, beginning at the neck, and loosen the skin as far down the chicken as you can. With your fingers, smear lots of the garlic paste onto the breast under the skin. Add a little dried tarragon, too, if you wish. Tarragon goes very well with chicken. If you have any leftover garlic paste, put it into the cavity of the chicken along with a small peeled and quartered onion and a quartered lemon, with rind.

Oil the whole outside of the chicken with some olive oil. Kinda give it an olive oil massage. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Roast until done. Really yummy.

I`m fairly sure Ken Hom did a version with the chicken and garlic, but I think it was 17 cloves? (I could be wrong about the number).

edit: if you have any leftovers, you can make garlic butter, then strip the chic meat and blenderise that until it`s a powder-like material, add a little egg and salt to the now Dough type mix, roll into golf ball size speres press a finger into each ball and push some cold garlic butter into it and seal it, wrap each in clingfilm and boil for 10 mins.
then pan fry until golden to make a mini Kiev :)

Last edited:
well i did the first idea with the roasted garlic. i added two tablespoons of butter to the mashed up pulp from one head, and some tarragon and salt. turned out great, the two guys ate most of the whole chicken, which meant nothing for lunch the next day, but oh well. gonna have to write that down so i remember it. and the roasting garlic made the whole house smell good :) . thanks for the idea.

Kat said:
well i did the first idea with the roasted garlic. i added two tablespoons of butter to the mashed up pulp from one head, and some tarragon and salt. turned out great, the two guys ate most of the whole chicken, which meant nothing for lunch the next day, but oh well. gonna have to write that down so i remember it. and the roasting garlic made the whole house smell good :) . thanks for the idea.

See, Kat, I told you it was good and easy. Sorry there wasn't enough left to have for lunch. Guess you'll have to roast two chickens next time. And what's the downside to that?!:LOL:

That sounds delicious!

You can also just cut the top off the raw head of garlic, stuff it into the chicken cavity, and let it roast that way. Put the other heads around the chicken in the pan, and when they're done, blend those with butter for wonderful garlic bread!
I'd add some lemon slices as well.

Back
Top Bottom