"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,766
Good luck, pengyou!

While you're here, may I ask you a few questions? Thanks

What kind of cooking surface, cookware and fuel do most home cooks in China use? Is "wok hei" an important goal in home cooking? Do most Chinese home cooks do a lot of stir-frying, or are other techniques common as well?

Thanks so much
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 901
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods and I often make a homemade pie, everything from scratch, including the crust. My crust is simple:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup Crisco shortening, cut in
A dash of salt

Then add water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the dough forms a fairly stiff ball and workable.

This makes a top and bottom crust. I separate the dough into 2 portions, leaving one (for the bottom) just slightly bigger than the other. Then I put the dough portions in between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out to fit whatever casserole dish I happen to be using at the time.
__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,441
Fallowing. Need to learn how to make one. My wife loves it. I never made it.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,766
I made pie crust for the first time a couple of years ago - I used lard. It was amazingly delicious and really easy to work with.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made pie crust for the first time a couple of years ago - I used lard. It was amazingly delicious and really easy to work with.
My mom always used lard for her pie crusts, both sweet and savory. And you're right, it's amazing.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,266
We're near Amish Country right now, and I vow to not leave until we get a supply of lard to take back to MA! I've been making 1/2 butter-1/2 lard crusts lately, and they are the best I've made. I also use lard for frying potatoes, eggs, lots of foods that need a bit of "grease" in the pan.

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:02 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We're near Amish Country right now, and I vow to not leave until we get a supply of lard to take back to MA! I've been making 1/2 butter-1/2 lard crusts lately, and they are the best I've made. I also use lard for frying potatoes, eggs, lots of foods that need a bit of "grease" in the pan.

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...
Hey, potatoes and eggs are good for you! Ya gotta fry them in something!
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,340
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We're near Amish Country right now, and I vow to not leave until we get a supply of lard to take back to MA! I've been making 1/2 butter-1/2 lard crusts lately, and they are the best I've made. I also use lard for frying potatoes, eggs, lots of foods that need a bit of "grease" in the pan.

Then again, maybe my hips don't really need me to buy that lard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hey, potatoes and eggs are good for you! Ya gotta fry them in something!
I'm reminded of my mother explaining why she used margarine when on a weight loss diet. "Margarine and butter have the same number of calories for the same amount of butter or margarine. But, when you are spreading butter on your bread, it tastes so good that you put a lot more."

Maybe those potatoes won't tempt you to eat quite so many if you don't have the lard for frying them in.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm reminded of my mother explaining why she used margarine when on a weight loss diet. "Margarine and butter have the same number of calories for the same amount of butter or margarine. But, when you are spreading butter on your bread, it tastes so good that you put a lot more."

Maybe those potatoes won't tempt you to eat quite so many if you don't have the lard for frying them in.
But now we know that margarine is uniquely not good for you. Lard and butter also have the same number of calories, and similar amounts of yumminess.

As always, it comes down to moderation, eh? Willpower
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #30
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Chicken Pot Pie is one of my absolute favorite comfort foods and I often make a homemade pie, everything from scratch, including the crust. My crust is simple:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup Crisco shortening, cut in
A dash of salt

Then add water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, until the dough forms a fairly stiff ball and workable.

This makes a top and bottom crust. I separate the dough into 2 portions, leaving one (for the bottom) just slightly bigger than the other. Then I put the dough portions in between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll out to fit whatever casserole dish I happen to be using at the time.
Do you refrigerate your dough?
What about the rest of the recipe? what do you use and how you make the filling?
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,074
The key to a good pie crust is to use COLD ngredients. The flour, the liquid and the fat.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Do you refrigerate your dough?
What about the rest of the recipe? what do you use and how you make the filling?
No, I don't refrigerate it because I make the dough just before I put the pie together. As for the filling, well, I don't really use a recipe. Not anymore, anyway. It's a recipe I found years ago and fell in love with it. And I've made it so many times, I don't need the recipe anymore.

I put my pies, in most cases, in an 8x8 baking dish or a 9" deep dish pie plate. And basically I just get out a pot and melt butter to start making a roux. Once the flour is cooked down into the butter, I slowly add chicken broth, salt & pepper and, eventually, milk. I keep adding milk (and more flour, as necessary) until I feel I have enough gravy to fill the casserole dish and it has thickened. Then I add cooked chicken and peas and carrots. Sometimes I add diced cooked potato, but not always. I'll also sometimes add mushrooms (either canned or sauteed fresh) and I cook it just long enough to heat everything through, then put the pie together. I cut 3 slits in the top crust.

Then I toss it into the oven at about 375 until it's bubbly and the crust has a nice golden brown color.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #33
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,425
Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
That can be done with puff pastry, too, which is closer to pie crust.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #35
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Although this doesn't offer any advice for a good pie crust, I had a chicken pot pie ( vegetarian) at a restaurant in NYC a few weeks ago. Instead of a traditional crust, they cut a home made biscuit in half ( a large one ). Put the bottom half on the plate, spooned over the pot pie filling, then topped it with the top part of the biscuit. Definitely not the same thing, but it was kinda of a nice ,easy quick way to make a similar dish. Ive actually made it at home several times since.
That sounds a lot like Chicken a la King. I love that dish.

__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, crust, pie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×