"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
Making a good crust for a chicken pot pie

Not sure whether to put this in with the chicken questions....or the pastry. I have good recipes for cpp fillings...but I always have trouble with the crust on top. It usually comes out too hard. What am I doing wrong? Is there a recipe out there that calls for pouring a batter on top of the filling and letting it cook into a bread top? Does cpp usually have a bottom crust also? I really love eating this meal...beef pot pie...the veggies...gravy...bread...meat...hmmmmmm oh! I spilled some gravy on my shirt!

__________________

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,793
Please post your recipe. It's much easier to troubleshoot that way.

Do you have access lard? It makes the *best* pie crust. Pot pie does usually have a bottom crust.
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,696
I make an 8-inch, deep dish turkey pot pie right after Thanksgiving. I just buy Pillsbury pie crusts from the refrigerated or frozen foods section of the supermarket.

Some pot pies have a bottm crust, such as Marie Callender's, while some don't, for example Kentucky Fried Gerbil's and Boston Market's chicken pies.

It is also common to place the filling in an oven safe container such as a casserole dish, drop dollops of biscuit batter or refrigerated biscuits on top, and bake it in the oven.
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I make an 8-inch, deep dish turkey pot pie right after Thanksgiving. I just buy Pillsbury pie crusts from the refrigerated or frozen foods section of the supermarket.

Some pot pies have a bottm crust, such as Marie Callender's, while some don't, for example Kentucky Fried Gerbil's and Boston Market's chicken pies.

It is also common to place the filling in an oven safe container such as a casserole dish, drop dollops of biscuit batter or refrigerated biscuits on top, and bake it in the oven.
He lives in China. I'm not sure they have frozen pie crusts there.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Cook
 
Steven c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 62
I use the old Betty Crocker’s pie crust recipe and it always seems to work out well for me. I use a crust on top and bottom for pot pie using crisco shortening, but lard is the way to go as my mother always swore by that.

Most of the time I do chicken pot pie but this one I made a beef pie since I used a skillet and beef I left the top more rustic looking instead of usual pinched edges. I think I did a egg wash and just folded it over and let them sit to cool a bit and firm up some.
__________________
Looking for old Walther PP pistol clip/magazine #981029
Steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 2,016
I have used puff pastry sheets on the top only at times , but always like regular pie crust for bottom and the top.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have used puff pastry sheets on the top only at times , but always like regular pie crust for bottom and the top.
So do I. Only, I do brush each layer with melted butter. Or sometimes when I am feeling lazy, I just put nice chunks of cold butter between the layers. for the times I make my own crust, I use a combo of ice cold lard and butter. Nice flaky crust!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,284
Addie, I think you're talking about sheets of phylo dough, not puff pastry. Puff pastry is more like an airy pie crust rather than thin sheets of paper.
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:41 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
He lives in China. I'm not sure they have frozen pie crusts there.

Bingo! Can't do the instant mode.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:45 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
Pie crust recipe is pretty basic:
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Have the same problem with pie crusts...of course, this is a pie crust :(
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,793
The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're working the dough a bit too much. Can you get lard? I've only made pie crust a few times and I used all lard. It was delicious and really easy to work with.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're working the dough a bit too much. Can you get lard? I've only made pie crust a few times and I used all lard. It was delicious and really easy to work with.
Yes..I was going to mention this..be gentle..the secret to a good crust is the spaces in between the flour...when you work it too much, you create a compressed dough that get's hard when cooked..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
He lives in China. I'm not sure they have frozen pie crusts there.
If they have Buicks, they have frozen pie crust!
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
If they have Buicks, they have frozen pie crust!
Here in Canada we have frozen Buicks..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Here in Canada we have frozen Buicks..
Do they say, "Sorry" for being frozen??
Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Do they say, "Sorry" for being frozen??
Ross
Only if they're eating a Milky Way
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Pie crust recipe is pretty basic:
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
  2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
Have the same problem with pie crusts...of course, this is a pie crust :(
Make sure your butter and water are ice cold.

For a flaky crust, make sure you work the fat into the flour until it resembles peas — not coarse crumbs. Coarse crumbs will give you a short crust, which is harder and crumbly.

Also, you can add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the water.

I make chicken pot pies a lot and my pie crust is usually pretty spot on. I often flavor it lightly with rosemary.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 22,407
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Make sure your butter and water are ice cold.

For a flaky crust, make sure you work the fat into the flour until it resembles peas — not coarse crumbs. Coarse crumbs will give you a short crust, which is harder and crumbly.

Also, you can add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the water.

I make chicken pot pies a lot and my pie crust is usually pretty spot on. I often flavor it lightly with rosemary.
I agree, butter and water ice cold, and the teaspoon or so of vinegar helps too. I used to make horrible, tough pie crust, so I went on a mission to learn to make good pie crust. Those were the things that helped. I also use pastry flour, but I'm weird and I make whole wheat pie crust.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Do they say, "Sorry" for being frozen??
Ross
Canadian........eh?
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beijing
Posts: 404
They have Buicks...a foreign brand car in China is a status symbol, so they are willing to buy Buicks, Ford, Cadillacs....frozen pastry...I would say that 95% of all households in China do not have a real oven. A good number may have something like a big toaster oven...but not what I would consider a tool to participate in the fine art of western cooking. After your post about frozen pastry dough I did some searching...I think I may have found one. Thanks for all of your input! I hope to attempt this masterpiece this weekend...will let you know.
__________________

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chicken, crust, pie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×