Need brine recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Have 4 huge bone in, skin on chicken breast halves. I've been wanting to experiment with brining, and can't find a recipe. Is this appropriate for this cut? What would the proportion of salt to water? It is now noon, and I'll probably put them on the grill at 5:30 or so. Is this enough time?

One quart of water, 4 TB kosher salt, 2 Tb sugar. Use these proportions at one quart of brine for every pound of food. Brine for at least 30 minutes and no more than 8 hours.

Andy M. said:
One quart of water, 4 TB kosher salt, 2 Tb sugar. Use these proportions at one quart of brine for every pound of food. Brine for at least 30 minutes and no more than 8 hours.

Would this work with pork chops too? I am defrosting a couple thick loin chops for the grill.

Andy, thank you. I've been wanting to try this on poultry and/or pork for ages, and watch American Food Kitchen a lot (that site would have been my next stop) I'm sure if I find it a vast improvement on my already beloved grilled chicken I'll do it enough to do it second nature. I've heard of putting in extra ingredients (cider, other stuff) but wanted to start with a basic. It should be soaking for 3 hours before I pull it out and rub with sage and put on the coals.

I've never brined anything, but it is my understanding that you can add your herbs or other spices right to the brine solution. You just need to lessen the salt if using a seasoning with salt included in it. I'm thinking you could add that sage right to the solution and let it get pulled in with the brine.

I've never brined anything either, but while I await the arrival of my new stovetop smoker, I thought this sounded really good. Will probably sprinkle with something else (no salt). Suggestions?

You can use vegetable broth in place of water for the brine. Also, you should rinse off the meat after brining to get rid of excess salt solution.

I would recommend salt free seasonings for brined meats at least until you know how it tastes. If you try to cut back on the salt in the brine to compensate for the salt in the seasoning blend you add after brining, you are lessening the effectiveness of the brine.

Andy M. said:
You can use vegetable broth in place of water for the brine. Also, you should rinse off the meat after brining to get rid of excess salt solution.

I would recommend salt free seasonings for brined meats at least until you know how it tastes. If you try to cut back on the salt in the brine to compensate for the salt in the seasoning blend you add after brining, you are lessening the effectiveness of the brine.

Thanks for that, Andy! Charcoal started, will rinse the meat. I used your recipe as written for brine. Will use my sweet little Lodge hibachi.

Now you have two other women to please...poor guy. Hope SO doesn't mind.

Last edited:
I used plain sage (no salt) and did rinse. They are delicious, but to be fair, I can't remember the last time I grilled bone and skin on chicken breasts, and they were huge ... in other words they would have been juicier and more flavorful than the frozen boneless/skinless IQF that are a backup staple here, without the brining. I'm still trying it again, next attempt will be a couple of pork tenderloins I have in the freezer, as soon as it is cool enough to use the oven. I want to make a sort of wellington type preparation. Tenderloins are so small and so lean that they dry out easily.

Claire said:
I used plain sage (no salt) and did rinse. They are delicious, but to be fair, I can't remember the last time I grilled bone and skin on chicken breasts, and they were huge ... in other words they would have been juicier and more flavorful than the frozen boneless/skinless IQF that are a backup staple here, without the brining. I'm still trying it again, next attempt will be a couple of pork tenderloins I have in the freezer, as soon as it is cool enough to use the oven. I want to make a sort of wellington type preparation. Tenderloins are so small and so lean that they dry out easily.

My brined chops turned out wonderfully! (btw, I just realized this was the poultry forum, sorry). I was glad Andy said to rinse the meat, I probably wouldn't have done this otherwise, and they would have been too salty.

Will try the citrus, Sir Loin!

Don't feel bad ... I didn't know where to ask the brine question because I was planning to use it for both pork and chicken!

Don't feel bad ... I didn't know where to ask the brine question because I was planning to use it for both pork and chicken!

That's a good point. Is brining considered marinating?

That's a good point. Is brining considered marinating?

Brining is more about retaining the meat's liquid and making it more savory, although you can impart flavor by adding herbs, garlic, hot pepper, etc.

I'd suggest adding some soy sauce (subbing for some of the salt) because it gives the brine an unami boost.

so a brine can be a marinade, or not. and a mwrinade can be a brine, or not.

lol, ok, got it.

if a brine has extra stuff in it for flavour, it's a marinade.

but marinades don't have to start with a brine. they can impart flavour other ways.

does that sound right? :chef:

Tom mate I'm confused by Brine/Marinade, I used to brine my fists to make them tougher.
Ps I never understood why you have to brine mackerel and salmon before smoking as I thought they did it themselves.
PPs I soak my conkers in vinegar before a competition, its against the rules but I live on the edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom