Ostrich Recipe Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie_7155

Assistant Cook
Hi me & my husband went to an ostrich farm near where we live & bought some ostrich meat mainly steak

Can anyone share their recipe's with me as ive only cooked it panfried with shallots, mushrooms & redwine all together in the pan

Ive looked in my cook books but theres nothing in them for ostrich

If I'm not mistaken, ostrich meat is pretty lean, so you might want to look at recipes that add some fat, or methods of cooking such as braising that won't dry it out.

There is always Google at the ready.

Never had ostrich, but have had emu.

Think it is about the same.

The meat has no fat.

It should, as I am sure you know, be only seared and served rare.

Can grind it and make emu, OK, ostrich burgers, but would add a bit of fat.

thanks auntdot, i was thinking about grinding it up & making a different dish with it,
youre right it does need to be served rare, as it spoils it if over cooked,

we even bought some wild boar meat too, not had that beofre, but we bought it as sausages so it will be nice to see what they taste like

I've had ostrich jerky, which was pretty good. Not sure what it was seasoned with, but I would think standard favorite jerky seasonings would work just fine.

I haven't cooked ostrich steak, but have cooked emu steak, which, I understand, is nearly identical.

You pretty much have to treat it almost the same way you'd treat calamari (squid) - either cook it fast (& no more than medium rare), or slow & long. Anything inbetween & you'll have shoe leather. I also marinated mine in my infamous "1-2-3-4" Marinade (which I use for everything from lamb to tuna):

1 – 2 – 3 – 4 MARINADE FOR MEAT

In a plastic ziplock bag, bowl, or covered dish large enough to hold the meat & marinade, combine:

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
3 tablespoons of oil (any type of your choosing)
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed, & roughly chopped

Add meat & marinate for a minimum of one hour to overnight. Grill, broil, or pan sauté meat as desired.

Back
Top Bottom