Question on chicken safety...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
How long is raw chicken good for?

I pulled it out of the freezer Thursday night to defrost in the fridge...now it's Monday. I'd like to cook it tonight. Am I pushing it?

Angie said:
How long is raw chicken good for?

I pulled it out of the freezer Thursday night to defrost in the fridge...now it's Monday. I'd like to cook it tonight. Am I pushing it?

What was the sell-by date on the package? Regardless, most people would cook it so use your own discretion.

ironchef said:
What was the sell-by date on the package? Regardless, most people would cook it so use your own discretion.

It was frozen when I purchased it and the package is gone. I cooked some of them on Friday night but we didn't eat them all so they are in the fridge.

I think it's perfectly fine to cook them tonight. Think about it - they weren't completely thawed until Friday. If I were in your shoes, & obviously this is just my opinion, I'd definitely & most happily cook & eat them tonight.

I go by the sell by/use by date too. Since they were frozen when you bought them, and you thawed them Thursday, I wouldnt eat it simply because it would be in my mind as to whether it is good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom