Roch's Chicken Cacciatore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will be making my chicken cacciatore in a few days, after all the stuffed cabbage rolls are gone. I like to make mashed potatoes with it and serve the tomatoes and mushrooms and stuff over the mashed potatoes.

Mmmm....now I'm craving chicken cacciatore. :yum: Sounds really good Rocklobster. Carol, I love the idea of serving them with mashed potatoes.

I will be making my chicken cacciatore in a few days, after all the stuffed cabbage rolls are gone. I like to make mashed potatoes with it and serve the tomatoes and mushrooms and stuff over the mashed potatoes.

How about a nice creamy, cheesy polenta?:yum:

They are missing out. Each to their own as they say.

I tried using alcohol from age 18 to 21, both for drinking and cooking. I detest the flavor, and it made me sick after just a few drinks.

Are there flavors you can't stand? Do you feel you are missing out because you won't use foods with those flavors? That's how it is with me and alcohol.

I am not missing out at all. I am not being subjected to consuming a flavor/substance i don't like. This is how I react to alcohol, its flavor, and it's effects - :sick:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

They are missing out. Each to their own as they say.

Some people are in recovery and can't drink. Some are on medication so that even the alcohol in salad dressing or vanilla extract can make them violently ill or even psychotic. And some, like Chief, just don't like alcohol. Some of Native American and Japanese heritages are genetically predisposed to be unable to process alcohol, it makes them violently ill or they get too drunk too fast.

Last edited:
Ah, don't be hard on bones. I have at times thought that someone who didn't like, say, a rock'n roll band that I didn't' like were missing out on some great music. I don't believe that anymore. I was merely making a reference to him that if you don't enjoy something, and you don't use it, you aren't missing out on anything. On the other hand, if you've never tried some thing that may be truly wonderful, just because you haven't had it before, then you may indeed be missing out.

Roll_Bones, I took no offense at what you said. Only remember, sometimes you have to look at things through someone else's eyes, or in this case, taste some things with someone else's tongue, metaphorically speaking of course (that's kind of a weird statement, isn't it.:wacko:). Oh, and you just keep your tongue away from me.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use spirits a lot when I cook. I like to get as many layers of flavors in a recipe, so wine, and other things are just nother ingredients I use. There are some types of dishes that it just doesn't belong in, or taste good IMHO, even though some recipes call for it....but, for me, when making sauces, it is right up there with, garlic, onions, oxygen, :yum:etc....lol....

Last edited:
Only remember, sometimes you have to look at things through someone else's eyes, or in this case, taste some things with someone else's tongue, metaphorically speaking of course (that's kind of a weird statement, isn't it.:wacko:). Oh, and you just keep your tongue away from me.:ohmy::LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I haven't made this dish in some time. SO has an issue with the texture of the skin's being soggy and limp. I've made it without the skin, just browning the chicken pieces but she was underwhelmed.

Does this bother anyone else?

I haven't made this dish in some time. SO has an issue with the texture of the skin's being soggy and limp. I've made it without the skin, just browning the chicken pieces but she was underwhelmed.

Does this bother anyone else?

Yeah, I don't like soggy chicken skin, either. I brown it with the skin on, to get lots of nice fond, then remove the skin before continuing with the recipe. Then we eat the skin as an appy ;)

Solution to the skin issue: Just take it off before you cook it.

If you trim the pieces well and brown the skin enough, most of the fat is rendered. It becomes very thin and not rubbery at all. I also pick some off and leave it on the side of the plate. It is all dead animal, no matter how you slice it...

Last edited:
Looks sooooo good, except I don't see any celery in this dish. In my tongue-world, celery is a necessity with chicken. It adds a titch of salty flavour, strangely.
I've been off or near-off salt since triple bypass 13 months ago, and now I can really TASTE salt, even in raw vegetables. I looked it up: yes, many veggies contain sodium, straight from the garden.
Once you reduce your salt intake (difficult at first, but ok after 6 months or so....) you can taste sodium in vegetables. Who knew? Celery, to this tongue, tastes salty. I wonder what other tastes I'm not aware of?

Looks sooooo good, except I don't see any celery in this dish. In my tongue-world, celery is a necessity with chicken. It adds a titch of salty flavour, strangely.
I've been off or near-off salt since triple bypass 13 months ago, and now I can really TASTE salt, even in raw vegetables. I looked it up: yes, many veggies contain sodium, straight from the garden.
Once you reduce your salt intake (difficult at first, but ok after 6 months or so....) you can taste sodium in vegetables. Who knew? Celery, to this tongue, tastes salty. I wonder what other tastes I'm not aware of?
Throw some in there, then.:)

I love stuffed cabbages. Can I get your recipe?

Some things should be thought and not said.

You really are the forum mom aren't you! :ROFLMAO:

Ah, don't be hard on bones. I have at times thought that someone who didn't like, say, a rock'n roll band that I didn't' like were missing out on some great music. I don't believe that anymore. I was merely making a reference to him that if you don't enjoy something, and you don't use it, you aren't missing out on anything. On the other hand, if you've never tried some thing that may be truly wonderful, just because you haven't had it before, then you may indeed be missing out.

Roll_Bones, I took no offense at what you said. Only remember, sometimes you have to look at things through someone else's eyes, or in this case, taste some things with someone else's tongue, metaphorically speaking of course (that's kind of a weird statement, isn't it.:wacko:). Oh, and you just keep your tongue away from me.:ohmy::LOL:

Thanks Chief. No offense meant or taken. Good points and all in good conversation.

Back
Top Bottom