Rubbing lemon on the Turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandycole24

Assistant Cook
I am looking at some recipes for this year's Turkey, in the Cooking Light Nov Issue they say the rub the outside of the turkey with a halved lemon, does anyone know what effect this has on the bird, is there a benefit to this? Thanks for the advice!:chef:

Welcome to the site mandycole24!

The lemon is just for flavor. You could do the same thing with a chicken before Thanksgiving if you want to try it out and see what it does. That way if you don't like it them you don't have to find that our on Turkey day.

I've done that before, and was pleased with the results. You don't really taste the lemon as such, but more a "freshening" of flavor. In fact, I use lemon juice on lots of meats for that reason.

I don't know why the obvious didn't hit me, duh, flavor. I guess b/c it's a parmesan sage rub under the skin, but I bet a little hint of lemon would taste great with that. I normally rub the butter mixture that is under the skin on the outside of the turkey as well, so maybe I will just squeeze a little lemon into that...awesome. I was thinking maybe it would give the skin some extra shine or something or make it crisper, but hey flavor is a an even better reason...Thanks!!:-p

yah it good...very bright taste and helps salt and pepper stick to your bird.
evoo works too but this is for cooking light and a great idea that works and perks up flavor

Back
Top Bottom