Salmis of Squab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only ever eaten this (prepared with pheasant) in restaurants in France. If I remember correctly, it's quite labor intensive and requires special tools for doing some exotic sauce preparation with the carcass? Anyway, I do know the dish, but I don't have any recipes for it. If you speak French, here is the classic technique made with pheasant. http://chefsimon.com/salmis.htm

I found this recipe by googling on google's french site: www.google.fr

Last edited:
Great!! Glad I could help. Let me know if you have questions about the french. I'm not a native speaker, but make do with topics like cooking.

That is a hard one to find on line. I gotta see if my prochef has it...or one of my petersens. Larouse will for sure.

Well I pulled it off. I roasted the squab 2/3s, then deboned and made a farce from the leg meat and kept the breasts whole. Made a Timbale of the farce. I finnished the breast at service. Its was difficult to do table side sevice in a classroom but I think it was o.k. the rest of the plate was glazed zucchini and rosemary gnocchi. Yum Yum.
J

Jeremy said:
Well I pulled it off. I roasted the squab 2/3s, then deboned and made a farce from the leg meat and kept the breasts whole. Made a Timbale of the farce. I finnished the breast at service. Its was difficult to do table side sevice in a classroom but I think it was o.k. the rest of the plate was glazed zucchini and rosemary gnocchi. Yum Yum.
J

Tres bien!! Bravo!! Glad it went well.

well done. for future reference both Petersen: Glorious French Food, and Larouse have recipes and history on the dish. Squab is the game bird of choice in America these days for the dish, unless you hunt and bag your own wild fowl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom