"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Question Sauce to go with chicken wrapped in parma ham/pancetta

Hi

I am cooking a simple meal for a lady friend and me (trying to impress!)

I am not the worlds best cook and so I was looking for some advice. I am going to cook chicken breasts that are stuffed with mozerella cheese and wrapped in parma ham/pancetta with grilled asparagus and buttered spinache (sp?)

I was wondering if you could suggest a simple sauce that could accompany this? or whether you think i should have a sauce?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

__________________

unicook85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicook85 View Post
Hi

I am cooking a simple meal for a lady friend and me (trying to impress!)

I am not the worlds best cook and so I was looking for some advice. I am going to cook chicken breasts that are stuffed with mozerella cheese and wrapped in parma ham/pancetta with grilled asparagus and buttered spinache (sp?)

I was wondering if you could suggest a simple sauce that could accompany this? or whether you think i should have a sauce?

Any ideas?

Thanks,


Chris
No sauce needed if chicken is moist enough other than that mayby a really light simple tomato or roasted red pepper sauce to put on the bottom of plate put chicken on top I would skip a cream sauce as you have the cheese and so forth making it rich enough.
__________________

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,515
I wouldn't do a sauce with this personally! Enjoy the mozzarella and pancetta!



Fun!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,115
Are you wrapping the chicken in both parma ham and pancetta or haven't decided which one?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
I havent decided which to wrap it in yet, i like pancetta when its cooked right its quite tough/crispy like bacon.

thanks for the advice guys :) ill have a think and hopefully choose the right combo :)

Thanks,
Chris
unicook85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston and Cape Cod
Posts: 10,079
The ham/pancetta is supposed to be crispy, right? Not sure if I'd sauce it either.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
auntdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,418
I vote for no sauce. I would probably try to get a touch of color on the plate, maybe a bit of tomato or pimento or other garnish. But it sounds great just the way it is.
__________________
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicook85 View Post
Hi

I am cooking a simple meal for a lady friend and me (trying to impress!)

I am not the worlds best cook and so I was looking for some advice. I am going to cook chicken breasts that are stuffed with mozerella cheese and wrapped in parma ham/pancetta with grilled asparagus and buttered spinache (sp?)

I was wondering if you could suggest a simple sauce that could accompany this? or whether you think i should have a sauce?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Welcome to DC, Chris.

You could either add a little pesto to the mozzarella stuffing (along w some roasted red peppers), or rub a light coating of pesto into the chickens breasts prior to cooking. Just a thought.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,557
A sauce will bring the dish together and will also help in the event your chicken does turn out dry. If you're trying to impress someone, don't hold back.

Try this recipe for a basic sauce that will marry well with the flavors in the chicken, as well as with the other foods on the plate:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...anc-12698.html
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
A sauce will bring the dish together and will also help in the event your chicken does turn out dry. If you're trying to impress someone, don't hold back.

Try this recipe for a basic sauce that will marry well with the flavors in the chicken, as well as with the other foods on the plate:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...anc-12698.html
I like your recipe for beurre-blanc, IC, especially since I like cream and hate tarragon. Sounds delicious, and would be great on unicook's chicken.

But I get too impatient when I have to reduce liquids, and don't let them go long enough. How long would you guess it takes to reduce 3/4 cup to 3 T?

Can ready-made beurre-blanc be purchased?????

Lee
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I like your recipe for beurre-blanc, IC, especially since I like cream and hate tarragon. Sounds delicious, and would be great on unicook's chicken.

But I get too impatient when I have to reduce liquids, and don't let them go long enough. How long would you guess it takes to reduce 3/4 cup to 3 T?

Can ready-made beurre-blanc be purchased?????

Lee
It doesn't take that long, but in this case he could halve the recipe and make 1 1/2 cups of sauce instead of the full 3 cups.

I like tarragon, but it has such a distinct flavor that I don't like using it in my beurre blanc base because then it makes it harder to add other things to the sauce that don't always pair well with tarragon. I also prefer lemon as my acid instead of vinegar because whether I want to go classical, Asian, fusion, etc. with the sauce, lemon is a more universal flavor match than vinegar. Lemon also can enhance more flavors than vinegar.
__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mission, Texas
Posts: 2,686
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Sage Butter Sauce

Saute in 1 T butter:
3 T shallot, minced
Add and reduce:
1/2 c dry white wine
1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c chicken broth
1 t lemon juice
Whisk in:
4 T cold unsalted butter, cubed
Finish with:
1-2 t minced fresh sage
Salt, white pepper and cayenne to taste
__________________
Dina
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Instead of making a sauce, why don' you marinate your chicken breasts in Italian dressing before you stuff and wrap them? It will moisten and flavor your meat, and will blend well with the mozzarella and pancetta.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,270
I wouldn't sauce but would ensure my sides weren't dry. I too would add tomatoes, maybe some halved cherry tomatoes with finely sliced red onion in a balsamic dressing. The asparagus is lovely when dressed with a mustard vinegrette.
__________________
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Sauce with this dish??

Hi all

im doing chicken in parma ham tonight. I always stuff them with mozzarella, basil and a small touch of garlic
Mistake last week was i served them with potato Gratin with cheese and cream so it was way to rich and i couldnt even eat half. Tonight Im cooking this dish for my inlaws and i want to serve with a light sauce some roasted veg and potato's.

Just dont want a rich sauce though. something light

any ideas??
irish lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
It doesn't take that long, but in this case he could halve the recipe and make 1 1/2 cups of sauce instead of the full 3 cups.

I like tarragon, but it has such a distinct flavor that I don't like using it in my beurre blanc base because then it makes it harder to add other things to the sauce that don't always pair well with tarragon. I also prefer lemon as my acid instead of vinegar because whether I want to go classical, Asian, fusion, etc. with the sauce, lemon is a more universal flavor match than vinegar. Lemon also can enhance more flavors than vinegar.
Lemon is also more wine-friendly than vinegar....

Beurre blanc is a very adaptable sauce. You can use any herb you choose. Tarragon is just the "classic" one. You can also use red wine vinegar and make a beurre rouge.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Lemon is also more wine-friendly than vinegar....

Beurre blanc is a very adaptable sauce. You can use any herb you choose. Tarragon is just the "classic" one. You can also use red wine vinegar and make a beurre rouge.
I wrap chicken breast stuffed with proscuitto and swiss in phyllo. Hollandaise works well with this combination, particularly when paired with asparagus and bakes fingerling potatoes.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
You can't go wrong with white sauce. I loved it with the chicken livers. 2 TB. margarine, 2 TB flour, 2 C milk. S&P I added a TB of dried green onions and sprinkle with garlic powder.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 476
I would use a nice chunky red sauce to cut the richness of the cheese.
__________________

__________________
Happy Cooking!!
Joy

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×