Sautéed Quail in Door Country Cherry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've been searching FN's website for some more dried cherry recipes. I just found one that's rather interesting. I may have to try this really soon, as not only do I have some quail in my freezer (sample product brought in by a vendor at work), I also have all the other ingredients.

Yield: 4 servings

3 T butter
8 semi-boneless quail, ~ 4 oz each
3 T brandy
½ c dried cherries, plumped in warm water with a bit of brandy then drained
1 c cherry juice
1 T sugar
1 t fresh thyme
1 t arrowroot or cornstarch, dissolved in 3 T of water

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in large sauté pan. Add quail and sauté on both sides. Carefully add brandy and flame. Let flame die down and flip the quail in the brandy. Remove quail and place in a small oven-proof pan. Roast for 8 minutes, until internal temperature of quail is 150°F. While the quail are roasting, add the drained dried cherries to the pan along with the cherry juice, sugar and thyme. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the arrowroot mixture and simmer until thickened. Arrowroot will produce a clearer sauce than cornstarch although both will work well. Return quail to the sauce mixture and simmer for 1 minute.

Allen, this looks mahvelous - simply mahvelous! It'd work just as well with duck or chicken breasts, too - or little cornish hens!

Allen, this looks mahvelous - simply mahvelous! It'd work just as well with duck or chicken breasts, too - or little cornish hens!
Quite right darrrrhhhhling, quite right - jolly good show I think this one is!

(Looks fab, as usual you found a winner Allen, thanks for posting it :) If you do happen to make it let us know the results.)

Marmalady, I really like you idea of duck, 'tis my favourite poultry product :mrgreen:

Ok, I made this today. I cut the quantity in half, as that's all the quail I had. Also, I changed the technique a bit. It's good, but I'm thinking of adding a little chicken stock to the sauce. Also, I may add the thyme to the birds when they're sauteed, instead of with the sauce. I changed the fresh thyme to dried, as that has more punch.

Here's what I made:

Yield: 2 servings

1 T clarified butter
4 semi-boneless quail, ~ 4 oz each
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ T brandy
¼ c dried cherries, plumped in warm water with a bit of brandy then drained
½ c cherry juice
1 ½ t sugar
½ t dried thyme
½ t arrowroot or cornstarch, dissolved in 1 ½ T of water

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in a 10” cast iron skillet over high heat. Add quail and sauté on both sides. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 8 minutes, until internal temperature of quail is 150°F. Replace the pan on a burner, remove the quail to a plate or platter, and carefully add brandy and flame. Let flame die down and add the drained dried cherries to the pan along with the cherry juice, sugar and thyme. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the arrowroot mixture and simmer until thickened. Arrowroot will produce a clearer sauce than cornstarch although both will work well. Return quail to the sauce mixture and simmer for 1 minute.

Back
Top Bottom