Spice Rack Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I' calling this - Spice-Rack Chicken as it uses nearly every herb and spice in my pantry. Let me give you a list of what I used. And I used about 2 dashes from each bottle for the blend.

Dried Oregano
Dried Basil
Dried Granulated Garlic powder
Ground Turmeric
Dried Granulated Onion Powder
Ground Red Pepper
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Ground Thyme
Curry Powder
3 Bay Leaves
Ground Sage
Dried Cilantro Leaves
Celery Seed
Chili Powder
2 tbs. Dark Sesame Oil
1 each, Bone-in, Skin of chicken beasts and thighs.
Egg Wash (2 large eggs with 1/4 cup half 'n Half, whisked together)

Combine all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. stir to mix. Place in microwave oven and cook on high for 40 seconds. Let cool. Rub mixture all over the chicken pieces, including under the skin. Place in fridge and let hang out overnight, or all day.

Preheat oven to 350' F.

Use half AP Flour, and half Farina for the coating. Season with salt, pepper, and whatever other hebns and spices you desire. Dredge the chicken in the flour. Dredge in egg wash and let sit for a minute to let the flour hydrate. Dredge in four and place on a rack for 5 mnutes to let the flour glue itself to the chicken pieces. Pan fry in 2 inches of 370' F. oil until lightly browned. Flip the chicken and repeat. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet roast for 20 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite sides.

I tasted the herb/spice/sesame il mix when it came out of the miicrowave. All of the flavors played well with each other, and taste like they were created to go on chicken, or pork. I put the rubbed chicken into a frezzer bag and into the fridge at 7 a.m. this morning, and will be cooking it at about 5 p.m. tonight. I'll post and let you know how it turns out.

I love my seasoned flour recipe, thagt i have posted on DC before. Ths will be just another new recipe creation/experiment. If anyone wants my home-made BBQ recipe for chicken, let me know. I'll post it as well. It's great for either the grill, or in the oven, or even in a slow cooker. Oh, roasted whole chicken, encased in backon, then slathered with BBq sauce for the final 15 minutes of cooking time, so good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This looks like a good one Chief. My kind of recipe. (except I like exact measurements lol) Lets hope it tastes as good as it sounds. Please let us know. How you feeling today?

This looks like a good one Chief. My kind of recipe. (except I like exact measurements lol) Lets hope it tastes as good as it sounds. Please let us know. How you feeling today?

Feeling pretty good, no injuries from the fall except road burn on the skin of my nose. I will certainly let you know how the chicken came out.

I have a seasoned flour recipe, wiht exact measurenebts that I have gotten rave reviews for. If you want it, let me know and I'll post it again. Then you can try it and let me know what you think.

Glad for the good news. Yes, I would love your seasoned flour recipe. If you like to grill or cook seafood, I just posted a link on the outdoor forum. Lot of good recipes there.

Glad for the good news. Yes, I would love your seasoned flour recipe. If you like to grill or cook seafood, I just posted a link on the outdoor forum. Lot of good recipes there.

Ok, I'll post it as Chief's Bulldog Seasoned Flour. Than ks for pointing me at your recipe. I'll go and take a look.:)

I made the chicken last night. It was edible, but definitely not as good as the lightly seasoned chicken coated with the Bulldog,, seasoned flour recipe. I won't be making it again. The turmeric was too strong.

Anyone with a great herb/spice rub, please share.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North.

I made the chicken last night. It was edible, but definitely not as good as the lightly seasoned chicken coated with the Bulldog,, seasoned flour recipe. I won't be making it again. The turmeric was too strong.

Anyone with a great herb/spice rub, please share.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North.

'morning Chief, what a bummer, and I am such a big fan of turmeric. Look at it this way, at least you got good and healthy last night. lol

I have a binder full of just rub recipes. Give me a hint of what you would like and I will be posting all day long. lol

I think you are onto Harland Saunders (father of KFC) claim to fame.

His 11 different herbs & spices (secret recipe) was about everything in his spice rack in the early 1960's. Kentucky has this joke about being a state where you can visit 9 French Cities in a single day. Owing to the French "Herbs de Provence", Saunders replicated it with what he had. The rest is history. His was one of the first franchises when the 60's was the decade of franchising. That and pressure frying the chicken in big Presto Pressure Cookers. (a risky undertaking at best)

2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
3 tablespoons paprika (original recipe calls for 4 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons ground white pepper

This mixed with 2 cups of All Purpose Flour

1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
blend together in large mixing bowl

Add your chicken pieces and allow to sit a half hour
then drain on a wire rack for a few minutes.

Next dredge in flour mixture. You can also do a double dip of this if you like a thicker seasoning on the chicken. (the second dip only to wet it with egg & buttermilk before coating it again with seasoned flour)

Place chicken in hot skillet with 1/2 to 3/4 inch of hot cooking oil and fry turning top to bottom and side to side.

Harland Saunders was a showman and a salesman to the extent people didn't question his secret recipe. They were more bedazzled by him. His fried chicken was good but the accessibility to it thru franchising restaurant locations was what made it a standard in fast foods. But anyone can make it at home quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom