That white thing in chicken!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well jc you are not alone. I too have lost a child. Only mine was a mother of five. And my son The Pirate lost his first born when he was nine hours old. There is no pain like that of losing a child. No matter what the age.

The folks in here at DC are very caring. They notice when you are among the missing for a spell. If you are ever feeling down, head over to Today's Funny. Start on page one and I guarantee and promise your spirits will be lifted up immediately. We also have one who raises chickens. Find the Chicken Chronicles. Another absolute delight to read. And they too will have you on the floor holding your side from laughter. :angel:

OK, so don't believe me. :mad:

Silverskin goes by a few names. It is closely related to tendon, both in appearance, and function. It's connective tissue that holds muscles in place, allowing them to work together. It, for instance, keeps your stomach for flipping when you roll around, elliminating the possiblility of you twisting any of the connecting tubes to and from it. It is in every animal and has a definite purpose.

On pork and beef ribs, it is plainly evident, and is called silverskin. In a chicken, it is the same tissue, but isn't as well known by most home cooks. It is broken down by slow, moist cooking techniques, where it is converted mostly into gelatine. It gives broths a richer mouth feel. When fried, or roasted, it can be very tough and chewy.

It won't hurt you. It's just not any fun to chew on, and chew on, and chew on. It also carries virtually no flavor.

Constance is correct.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It won't hurt you. It's just not any fun to chew on, and chew on, and chew on. It also carries virtually no flavor.

Constance is correct.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

sounds like you're new pancake recipe, chief.

how many times do i have to tell you to stop messing around with perfection.

lol, kidding! i'm just kidding.

he hee, just pullin' a feather out of the chief's war bonnet.

jchilders329 said:
Wow a cooking website and people are trying to start a fight with me over chicken. To the person who said they've never seen it without the tendon well you must not have been cooking very long. They use to package it without the tendon I promise. The size of the tendon overtakes the chicken so those tendons are apparently bigger than they used to be. I guess it's the steroids. The 7yr old post comments, so there's a deadline on the topics...lovely. To the comments that the chicken can't move I mean really that's beyond immature. Which every single reply is immature. It's my choice to eat what I want. I commented on this to tell that it used to not be there and that it makes me sick too. For all the immature rediculous comments it's worse for the site administrator. All your rules and you make a comment. I said nothing that should've been replied to in this manner and this disrespect.

No reason to be offended. We like to have fun here.

We all take a ribbing from time to time. It wouldn't be unusual for someone to be called a chicken. I haven't been called a porker yet but nobody here has actually seen me eat. Don't be surprised or offended if someone here eggs you on.

By the way nice to meat you.

Welcome

sounds like you're new pancake recipe, chief.

how many times do i have to tell you to stop messing around with perfection.

lol, kidding! i'm just kidding.

he hee, just pullin' a feather out of the chief's war bonnet.

Those feathers are not to be touched! They are my stash for tying fishing flies! It's my fly-fishing bonnet. I'm a peace lover, ya know. And I only remove feathers from sustainable birds, like chickens, and ducks, and geese, and grouse, and deer, uh, oh, I mean beaver.:ohmy: Uh, dang, I deep gettin' that mixed up. I must have drank some of that joisy water.:D There's enough mercury in there to make a hatter mad.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

@Hoot...Thankyou, I'm so sorry about your child...stuff like that really hurts. before I can remember hearing of people who lost children and I would think God I know that has to be very hard and it has to hurt really bad but I never knew just how much it did until it happened to me. For the first month and a half in the hospital my husband said I would set staring at the walls I wouldn't watch TV nor did I wanna speak to anyone. I only remember bits and pieces. Thanks for welcoming me, you guys are great. I think I'm gonna like this site after all :)
@kylie1969 thank you :)
@Addie wow my heart goes out to you losing a child that you have lots of memories that breaks my heart for you, as bad as mine was I can only imagine how you've pulled through it. You have to be a very strong lady. Then also a g-child...God love you. Also thanks for all the info I look forward to figuring everything out.
@jharris :LOL:...wow we have something in common and that's the porker...I LOVE FOOD!!!! Thanks :)

Well jc you are not alone. I too have lost a child. Only mine was a mother of five. And my son The Pirate lost his first born when he was nine hours old. There is no pain like that of losing a child. No matter what the age.

The folks in here at DC are very caring. They notice when you are among the missing for a spell. If you are ever feeling down, head over to Today's Funny. Start on page one and I guarantee and promise your spirits will be lifted up immediately. We also have one who raises chickens. Find the Chicken Chronicles. Another absolute delight to read. And they too will have you on the floor holding your side from laughter. :angel:

Right now I am facing the possibility of losing my first born. She has been diagnosed with brain cancer. She is doing fine right now, but we won't know her prognosis until October at the earliest. The folks here at DC have been a pillar of strength for me. When I first got the news I was a wreck. But with some medication and support from friends I am now able to do whatever it takes to help my daughter. You will notice that all my posts have an angel at the end. It is for my daughter. Everyone needs an angel to watch over them. The folks here are very generous with their angels. And for that I am so ever grateful. :angel:

I have never lost a child, and so can not say that I know how hard it is. But I have children and grandchildren who mean more to me than anything else in the world. I have seen a few close calls, where but for a favorable instant of time, I could have lost one of my children. But Heaven smiled down on me, an spared me that pain.

This is not a religious site and so I'll respect that, though I have strong beliefs. Let's just say that I believe in life after death, and that families are forever, not just in mortality. You will see them again, all of you.

DC is full of good people, even if we get a little goofy sometimes, right BT?

And just so's ya knows, BT and I are brothers in spirit. We share the same birthdate, and many personality traits, and have a huge amount of respect for each other (shhhh. Don"t tell him that.:ermm:) He was refering to a rather famous pancake recipe of mine, and telling me not to be messing with it.

And now I can't even remember the initial topic of this thread.:ohmy: But I do remember one thing, that I'm looking forward to sharing all things DC with you.:)

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

sorry, j. no offense was intended, i can assure you.

many of us are very comfortable joking around with each other and don't expect newbies to be so sensitive. not to worry, though. eben the best of us read things with a burr under our saddle from time to time when one wasn't intended.

your question has been answered, along with an entire community's input. i hope you can unclench and see that. from a larger perspective.
btw, i'm curious about a subjext that you brought up in ypur distemper

i've seen both positive and negative responses from the powers that be wherein recalling old posts was frowned upon and supported.

what say you, emporers of dc?

It goes to show that old posts never die, they don't even fade away. I suppose if I did a search for celiac, something from way back when would show up. :angel:

What I don't understand is why touching that tendon makes some feel sick. You will handle livers, the stomach and gizzards of the chicken, but a clean tendon? You are even willing to stick your hand up the backside of the chicken, so why not touch the tendon? You go so far as to clean out the blood clots inbetween the rib cage of the inside. I would hate to see someone field dress an animal that has been shot during hunting season. Maybe it is just me. I have a rather strong stomach for such things. I would love to watch open heart surgery. The more blood and gore, the happier I am.

BTW having the butcher take out those tendons just adds to the cost. The more labor, the higher the cost. The only time I have ever seen them removed is when the tenders are sold separate. Then they are removed for esthetics only. If you notice they usually cost more per pound than the breasts that they came off of. :angel:

What I don't understand is why touching that tendon makes some feel sick. You will handle livers, the stomach and gizzards of the chicken, but a clean tendon? You are even willing to stick your hand up the backside of the chicken, so why not touch the tendon? You go so far as to clean out the blood clots inbetween the rib cage of the inside. I would hate to see someone field dress an animal that has been shot during hunting season. Maybe it is just me. I have a rather strong stomach for such things. I would love to watch open heart surgery. The more blood and gore, the happier I am.

You're making quite a few assumptions there, Addie :) I know more than a few people who don't like to handle raw meat, much less touch innards or blood clots. A couple of people have even told me they can't eat something that looks too much like the live animal, like a chicken leg.

When people tell me that, I just sorta look at them in wonder. It's not hard to avoid doing that these days, especially for people who don't cook much. There's lots of already prepared food available for reheating.

You're making quite a few assumptions there, Addie :) I know more than a few people who don't like to handle raw meat, much less touch innards or blood clots. A couple of people have even told me they can't eat something that looks too much like the live animal, like a chicken leg.

When people tell me that, I just sorta look at them in wonder. It's not hard to avoid doing that these days, especially for people who don't cook much. There's lots of already prepared food available for reheating.

I was responding to some of the posts at the beginning of this thread. :angel:

Welcome jchilders! IMO you have stumbled upon the best online "family" on the web. Most of the time we're all proper and normal, but on occasion we become those crazy cousins you might have that you need to avoid at family gatherings. We may bite, but if we do we've made sure to leave our teeth in the cup in the bathroom. :LOL:

Wacky and dysfunctional as we might first seem, those of us who are addicted to DC have a real concern for each other. We're are own little support group at times. If you want to see us being kinder and gentler posters, skim through the posts on the Boston Marathon. We can be a pretty decent bunch when we have to be. ;) We even talk recipes and cooking sometimes!

Finally, thank you for sharing your heartache over losing your little one. I'll say a prayer for your little angel and her family here on earth when I go to sleep tonight.:innocent:

hail mary, full of grace, the lord is... is..

sssnoggghhh!

wee wee wee.

sssnoggghhh!

wee wee wee.

:innocent:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom