Turkey Breast - What went wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
4.8 lbs whole breast. Baked covered in foil at 325 for 1 hour. Inserted the temperature probe and removed the foil until the temp went t0 165 (about another hour. Ended up tough as could be. What could have gone wrong. It was from a young hen.

Hmm.. sounds like exactly the same way we did our breast. Final temperature of 180ish. We also put a little wine at the bottom of the roasting pan. Sorry to hear it wasn't a success. :( I hope you had a great holiday regardless!

If it was not overcooked, and at 165 F it was not, then I'd guess you didn't slice the meat across the grain. Slicing the breast meat with the grain will result in tougher meat.

Maybe it was the way it was cut. I'll cut the leftovers across the grain to see. The small ham I cooked came out really good. Very little leftover. We enjoyed each others company which is the main thing.

I hope the rest of the day is great for you and yours!

We haven't eaten yet so the jury's still out.

I had that happen to me , Twice, They were frozen when i brought them.
The cost of the turkey breast is more the a whole turkey. So now i refuse to buy the breast only. I purchase a whole turkey and cut it up and then cook the breast only. Never have had a problem since. I use the rest for stock and soup. I like all the meat of the turkey, Hubbie like white.

This was also frozen. I do make chicken stock about once a month or so. Maybe next time I'l do what you suggested and use the rest for stock and soup. Thanks.

I didn't know you could/should cut poultry across the grain. It always seems like the bird is sitting on the plate a certain way (belly down) and the carver runs his knife down the same way cutting the slices. I never paid attention to whether or not that was with the grain or across the grain. Interesting. I'll have tp pay attention next time and see if I notice a tougher meat or not.

You remove the entire breast from the bird, Pacanis, and then slice it across the grain.

Really.... I can't say that I ever noticed anyone in my family doing it that way. It seems the carved meat came directly from the bird, unless they were breaking apart the legs into pieces of dark meat. Then they would separate the legs from the carcass and cut/pull them apart. Maybe that's why I grew up liking the dark meat better :LOL:

I always remove the breast and slice that way. gives a nice portion. However, evn buying free range birds fresh etc etc. and animal is "unpredictable" One year my turkey obviously was a barnyard big shot, lifting weights etc and is quite "firm" while another year I get the couch potato and it is very tender. Same can happen with chicken beef pork and lamb too.

If ya cook it right and it tastes good, and the stuffing is good and the gravy ... I can take a little chew happily.

I read / saw someplace where it was suggested to remove the entire breast aws one, lay on a plate and cut what would then be across the grain. that is what I did and it worked well.

AC

Back
Top Bottom