Turkey Brine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Does anyone have any good turkey brine receipes. I've never cooked a turkey myself and my mom did one last year in a brine was real moist,but I thought it was to salty so I figured I'd ask for ideas here. You guys always come through. Thanks

I use enough apple cider to cover the turkey. It usually takes close to three gallons. Then I add 2 cups of kosher salt, 1/4 cup poultry seasoning, 1/8 c black pepper, 1/4 c granulated garlic and a cup of brown sugar.

I use enough apple cider to cover the turkey. It usually takes close to three gallons. Then I add 2 cups of kosher salt, 1/4 cup poultry seasoning, 1/8 c black pepper, 1/4 c granulated garlic and a cup of brown sugar.
apple cider, eh? That sounds good.

Here's mine-
Basic Brine:
1 cup Kosher salt
¼ cup Sugar
4 Quarts water
Various herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)

I combine salt, sugar, herbs and 2 quarts of water. Put it on the stove on high and wait for the salt and sugar to dissolve. Then I take it off the heat and add the other 2 qts water. Stick it in the fridge.

When it comes time to brine, I double 2 turkey oven bags. Stick the turkey in and have an extra pair of hands to help you hold the bags while you pour the brine in. Gather the inner bag tightly to force the brine around the entire turkey. I do this all in the roasting pan and stick it in the fridge for 12 hours, breast side down.

I've been using the recipe the Andy suggested for a few years now. It really is the bomb!

Thanks for the help, I'll have to do a turkey like this a different time. My inlaws do not use any salt on or in things(husband reminded me) so I'm afraid it would be to salty for them. I have copied the recipes and i will eventually do one for a different occassion

If you buy a fresh turkey that has only been processed as far as slaughtering, gutting (sorry -think the proper term is drawing), and plucking then you can brine it.

mikki said:
... my mom did one last year in a brine was real moist, but I thought it was too salty ...

If it comes in a plastic wrapper from the grocery store - look at the label. If the ingredients say anything about added broth, water, salt, etc. - it's already "brined" (by injecting) and brining it again will only result in it being too salty. This also goes for "Kosher" turkeys - they, too, are already brined.

If you're looking at brining as a way to add flavors ... there are other ways that will not make the turkey too salty.

apple cider, eh? That sounds good.

Here's mine-
Basic Brine:
1 cup Kosher salt
¼ cup Sugar
4 Quarts water
Various herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage)

I combine salt, sugar, herbs and 2 quarts of water. Put it on the stove on high and wait for the salt and sugar to dissolve. Then I take it off the heat and add the other 2 qts water. Stick it in the fridge.

When it comes time to brine, I double 2 turkey oven bags. Stick the turkey in and have an extra pair of hands to help you hold the bags while you pour the brine in. Gather the inner bag tightly to force the brine around the entire turkey. I do this all in the roasting pan and stick it in the fridge for 12 hours, breast side down.

Where do you find those oven bags? I have a similar brine recipe (actually, it might be exactly the same - can't remember offhand) and it calls for two of those bags. If I somehow can't find them, will this work in a covered container so long as the entire turkey is submerged in the brine?

does it make the meat sweet? dh doesn't usually like sweet and savory combined, especially where there is meat involved.

Not really sweet, but you do detect the apple flavour enough. It also gives the entire bird a lovely caramel colour, even the white meat is a darker....still white, but a deeper white, if you get what I mean. If sweet is a problem, and you still want a bit of the flavour, would you consider half cider and half water?

Not really sweet, but you do detect the apple flavour enough. It also gives the entire bird a lovely caramel colour, even the white meat is a darker....still white, but a deeper white, if you get what I mean. If sweet is a problem, and you still want a bit of the flavour, would you consider half cider and half water?
or perhaps use a dry cider or scrumpy? I can't drink scrumpy - too dry for me.

Where do you find those oven bags? I have a similar brine recipe (actually, it might be exactly the same - can't remember offhand) and it calls for two of those bags. If I somehow can't find them, will this work in a covered container so long as the entire turkey is submerged in the brine?

In the supermarket with the ziplocks, etc. Near where they sell liners for crockpots.

Actually, I use those humongous ziplocks now when I brine. You could fit a golden retriever in one (not that you'd want to). They make a size that's perfect for a 16-18 lb. turkey.

Yes, any container will work as long as the turkey is submerged.

Thanks jennyema! LOL now I'm stuck on the image of someone coaxing a golden retriever into a gigantic ziploc bag. Portable puppy! :LOL:

Oh, one more thing. I don't think I have kosher salt (although it's entirely possible that it's made its way to some long-forgotten corner of the shelf). Can I use table salt? If so, how much?

You can buy a Ziplock that will hold a large turkey!?!? I've never seen anything larger than 2 gallons.

PS: I could never get my golden into a ziplock. He squirmed too much.

Andy

Ziplock makes ginormous bags now. Their largest is too big for a turkey!

Try putting some snacks or a bone in one and I bet your golden would walk right in.

CherryRed

Yes you can use table salt, but use only about 1/2 - 2/3 as much. Should taste salty like sea water.

I came here looking for just such a thread! I found both Alton's and the below recipe promising. Instead of brining in a bag, I was going to try a large pot, or more than likely a cooler. Since it's cold here (about freezing at night) I was going to put the turkey in the cooler, and put it in the garage over night in the brine. But I am really worried, won't the turkey be salty with one to two cups of kosher salt? I will be buying a Butterball turkey, of course I will check the label to be sure there is no added salt. (uh-oh, editing to say I googled, and found that Butterball turkeys are pre-brined---I will need to find another brand of turkey!)

Perfect Turkey - Allrecipes

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (18 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
  • 2 cups kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
  • 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup dry white wine
15864.gif

READ REVIEWS (151)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Rub the turkey inside and out with the kosher salt. Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place in the refrigerator, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly rinse the turkey, and discard the brine mixture.
  3. Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme, and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover with the white wine.
  4. Roast uncovered 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving.

Last edited:
Butterball turkeys are already treated with a flavored liquid. No need to brine.

You can still do it to introduce other flavors, but you should still add the salt to the brine. The salts won't "add up to double the saltiness". The turkey will not get saltier than the saltiest liquid.

So if the Butterball liquid is saltier than the brine, your brine will reduce the salt in the bird a little. If your brine is saltier than the liquid in the bird, your brine will make the bird a little saltier. Either way, it should not be overly salty.

Be sure to rinse the bird off after brining and pat it dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom