Turkey Seasonings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy

Senior Cook
What do you season your turkey with? We always buy a Butterball turkey and was just wondering- do you add more seasonings to it and if so...what seasonings?

I typically brine my bird. Salt, peppercorns, apple juice, bruised sage, a little brown sugar and lemon zest, then fry it or cook breast side down in a v-rack.

Gosh, I haven't bought a Butterball in over 25 years. I try to buy as fresh a no-name turkey as possible with no butter/oil added. The last several years I've been brining mine in a plain salt/water mixture.

When I cook it, stuffed, I just season it with some salt and pepper. The seasoning comes from the onions, celery, green pepper and sage that are in my stuffing. I baste my bird with some butter and white wine and drippings.

I rub the bird with olive oil, then season it inside and out with S&P, thyme, and crushed sage.
I don't bother to brine the bird unless we're cooking it on the grill, as they already have water added.

I make my turkeys in an 18 quart roaster. It makes the most incredibly moist bird! And, you can actually pull the bones right out of the bird.
Here's my recipe:

Inside the cavity of the bird, put 1-2 large navel oranges, each quartered. Leave the skins on, since that has the orange oil in it. Between the skin and the meat, add a mixture of 3 Tbsp.rubbed or dalmation sage, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Then, mix up in a separate bowl: juice of 1 orange & 2 c. hot water mixed with 2-3 chicken bouillion cubes. Pour a bit of the liquid into the roaster, set the turkey in and then pour the remaining liquid on top. Rub some butter on top of the turkey skin. Cook around 3-4 hours (depending on the size of the bird), and now and then ladle out some of the liquid and baste the bird with it.

plain old Smokey bacon here.
I don`t add any herbs/spices or anything beyond that to a roast turkey.

Thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, and nutmeg.

It's called McCormick's poultry seasoning and you can buy it in your regular grocery store.

I brine mine using water, salt, sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, garlic bay leaves, black pepper.

I stuff the cavity with chopped onion, garlic, apples, lemon, parsley, sage, thyme, bay leaves and old bread that has been soaked in white wine.

Sage and thyme, shoved under the skin with a bit of butter....and thats in addition to brining it in apple cider and kosher salt.

I brine mine in water, salt, sage, and thyme. Then I stuff it with onion, apple, celery, carrotts. I make a rub with salt, pepper,thyme, sage, parsley, sometimes a little rosemary, and butter and rub it under the skin. I do my dressing outside of the bird in a casserole dish using the turkey broth that comes off the bird.

I always put 2 celery stalks, 2-3 cloves of garlic and 1 small to medium yellow onion. I baste it with a mixture of real butter, sage, salt and pepper about every 10-15 minutes. It takes time, but it is well worth it. It is beyond juicy.;)

As an added bonus, it ends up looking like one the adds for a turkey because it turns such a pretty golden brown.

I always put 2 celery stalks, 2-3 cloves of garlic and 1 small to medium yellow onion. I baste it with a mixture of real butter, sage, salt and pepper about every 10-15 minutes. It takes time, but it is well worth it. It is beyond juicy.;)

As an added bonus, it ends up looking like one the adds for a turkey because it turns such a pretty golden brown.

Basting a turkey doesn't make the meat any moister. Skin is a very effective moisture barrier. Virtually none of the butter penetrates the skin. You'll need to put the butter under the skin to have any effect, moisture-wise.

Plus opening the oven that often during cooking is really not a very good thing.

Basting does make for a lovely deep brown color though. You can get that through basting only a few times during cooking.

Back
Top Bottom